CBR1100XX.org Forum

Purchased a 'Bird a couple of weeks ago..

pace

..and while I love most everything about this machine, I have to say that it is bloody uncomfortable for me after about 30 minutes of riding! My buddy and I did 250 miles this Saturday, and I was in pain for the latter half of the ride.

- My thumb and forefinger on my right hand kept going numb (I have carpel-tunnel and this happens when motocrossing too, so no biggie).

- Both wrists got very sore.

- My butt started hurting immediately.

- Later in the ride, I got hip pain and then cramps in my shoulders.

I'm guessing that at 5'8" and just 160lbs, my relatively diminutive size is somewhat the culprit here. While the riding position feels natural at rest, once moving I am obviously pretty much stretched out and sitting hard up against the tank.

I'm only 30 and physically in good shape, so I really feel I should not have to suffer to enjoy this bike. However, I picked it up (versus a supersport bike) because I wanted to do some distance. Obviously I need to improve my comfort significantly to make this feasible.

My thoughts are that I need the bars higher and moved rearward. I need a softer saddle, ideally one that is formed for a sub-200lb backside, I need a way to be able to rest my right hand for short periods of time (ThrottleMeister?), and optionally I would like to move the pegs down slightly (I pity those of you with greater than a 30" inseam!!)

So, are any of you guys my approximate size and have to had to deal with these issues. What are your experiences with Gen-Mar risers and the Corbin saddle, or similar products?

Thanks for any help you can give me that will enable me to get more enjoyment out of this fantastic bike.

-Pace

I got beat up by the XX when I first got it but after getting the rear shock setup for my weight and softening the damping on it it was much improved. Also suspension wise it is a known issue that the forks are undersprung and overdamped, you can get new springs and valves that will solve the problem and there are some current threads on this topic.

You can slide the clipons up on the fork tubes about 3/4" without any problem if you remove the retaining clip that is there. Many board members have done either Heli bars or you can use the clipons from an '02VFR, the VFR bars more closely match the fit and finish of the bird than the Heli bars and are cheaper. You can get them at Ronayers.com.

There is a writeup on the main website for upgrading your your grips with some Pro Gel grips these help. There is also a writeup on adding an NEP 3 throttle lock. I have done both of these mods, they are easy to do and help.

Don't let your bird beat you up, a few mods and you will find it much improved. A 300 mile day will be a piece of cake after you get setup.

Softer seats are not necessarily a good thing for long distance travelling. The foam tends to compress and then provide less absorbtion over time. The real problem with the XX seat, as my bony arse can attest, is that the foam is too thin on it, and you end up coming in contact with plastic tray of the seat. To fix that, I got a custom seat made up (Rich's here in Seattle). The second best option is an aftermarket unit like Corbin or Sargent. If you have the readies, then a gel pad is a must - but don't expect the seat to be softer than stock. That's not desirable for long days.

For the reach issues, it sounds like you need to raise the bars a fraction. Before you go out and buy Helibars, try raising the stock bars on the forks. Remove the little (useless) circlip loosen the hex-bolt and slide the bars up so that the clamping portion is level with the top of the forks. That should make the bars closer to you so that you can sit more upright.

As Marc says, the suspension on the stock XX sucks. Some money spent on first fixing up the front is a good idea. You're about ideal weight for the stock springs, so they shouldn't need changing, but the valving will. Aftermarket kits are available and instructions here on how to fit them too. That should help eliiminate the jaring through the bars that screw your wrists up. Shock later on if you have the money. Fixing the forks first will remove more of the problems than doing the shock first.

Raising the bars helps quite a bit but if that doesn't work for you then I would go with the VFR bars. They are higher and pulled back some and the ends don't drop off like the stock bars do. Also its a simple change.

As far as a Corbin seat goes see if you can sit on someone elses bike that has one. They are expensive and some like them and others don't.

The more you ride the better it gets.

Thanks guys - the advice is very much appreciated. I didn't know about the VFR bars, and that is definitely something I may look into if I find there is an improvement by sliding the stock clipons up on the forks. I'll also take a look at what revalving/damping options are available for the front end.

Thanks!

-Pace

Pace,

First of all, welcome to the site. You will find that everyone here is knowledgeable and very willing to help.

Others have suggested some helpful solutions to your problem, but I've feel like I must chime in here and just say give it some time before you spend any money. If you've only had the bird for a few weeks then I think that you need to get used to the ergos first. If that doesn't work, then spend the money on mods (although the suspension valving is a good idea regardless).....or just raise the stock bars a tad.

I am about the same size/weight as you and I rode a couple hundred miles on my first ride with the same complaints. After awhile the discomforts went away without any modifications to the bike. It just took a little while for my body to "break in".

Just my 2 cents.......

Thanks Jason. Although I moto every weekend, it's actually been five years since I owned a road cycle. Hence I keep telling myself that it's just going to take me a while to get used to the sport-oriented riding position again. I think there is some truth to your comments, and I will definitely give it some time before I start dropping big $$ on comfort mods.

Thanks for the welcome, too. My initial impressions of these forums and its members are very positive. :grin:

-Pace

VFR bars lifted about 1/4" and rotated back make for a comfortable yet still sporty position. I had the adjustable pegs but took them off. I have a Sargent seat but it was made for teh prev owner so the front is too low and narrow. Once I get that fixed, it'll be perfect.

MikeG

Thanks Jason. Although I moto every weekend, it's actually been five years since I owned a road cycle. Hence I keep telling myself that it's just going to take me a while to get used to the sport-oriented riding position again. I think there is some truth to your comments, and I will definitely give it some time before I start dropping big $$ on comfort mods.

Thanks for the welcome, too. My initial impressions of these forums and its members are very positive. :grin:

-Pace

I was just going to say the exact same thing. The riding position on the XX (and every sportbike, even from one another) is completely different then MX, Touring, or cruiser bikes. Your wrists will first need some beafing up (this takes time). The muscles in your neck will get a work out too, especially if you are shorter as you are limited in the positions you can put your head in and ride. Your back is next. You will use muscles that you have never needed to in the past riding anyways. Give it a couple of months of riding before you do anything. You will notice your wrists, neck and back will feel much better and your ass, well, depending on the miles you do, it too will "Break in" but you may want to pick up an aftermarket seat if you are a mile eater. Give it some time, you will come to love the ergo's of this bike.

MaXX

Maxx and Jason make a really good point. Every year, when it's time to go riding after the long winter freeze here in Wisconsin, The first week or so is hell on the body. Neck, Back, Wrists, Knees... all get a bit out of whack. However, after that week, I'm ready to ride

I did the VFR bar mod (I'm 5'6", 195lbs) and got the Corbin Smuggler Saddle (I LOVE Ebay) The VFR bar mod was very worthwhile, but until I could afford the bars (they're like $75 and $85 from RonAyers) I raised the Stockers. I was amazed at how much just raising them 3/4" helped!

The Corbin is GREAT for long rides, although at my height it makes it a bit difficult to push the bike around while sitting on it :oops: , as it has a wider pan and my legs are a bit short.

I haven't invested the $ in doing the racetech valves and springs, although I probably will when it's fork oil time, as I'll probably take that job into my shop and have him do it during the oil change.

Give it a bit of time, and you'll find you LOVE THIS BIKE.

On my first day with my 'bird i did 320 miles easily. it has the genmar riser pieces (I am gonna change em out for 02 VFR pieces) and corbin seat. I Highly recommend corbin seats! They are hard but after the breakin period they keep the vibes from hittin yer butt! Good luck!