CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tread Depth on new tires

jayemtl

Does anyone know what the tread depth would be on new tires front and rear, as well as, how thick new pads are? (measurements in mm)

I just bought a Bird and took it to a guy I know for cert, now he's telling me the bike needs new tires, front & rear, plus brake pads front and rear as well. The problem is I know the rear tire was replaced not too long ago (2000kms) and so were the brake pads. The front tire, by my own admission, will need replacing shortly, however, still no question as to getting on it and going for a rip at this point, as it's still 2 or 3mm off the wear strip.

Before everyone starts on the "Be Safe" rants, I don't have any problem buying whatever the bike needs, but I don't want to go out there and buy a bunch of stuff, only to find that there's 1 or .5 mm difference....

This guy is a car guy, and here in Canada, as long as you run a shop that is capable of providing a safety certificate, you can issue them for bikes or cars...and he deals with cars...

Any info would be appreciated, as he is a friend, so I just don't want to go up to him and say he's wrong, buy would like to measure to spec to show him the difference.

Thanks.

Agreed. If the wear bars aren't touching pavement you're good to go. As far as brakes I have no idea...take it to a dealer and they can tell you in a hurry.

In Nova Scotia you have to have a specific motorcycle inspection liscence. FYI 8)

Bridgestone BT12 and BT14 rear= 6.7 mm

Don't remember exactly for the front, I think a bit less (5.5 to 6 mm).

If your tires have 2 or 3 mm , they are certainly not new but they have some life left.

Did you take measurements in both the middle and the sides of the tread, or just in the middle?