CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Springs

scubajohn

Ok last chance to keep me from making a stupid newbie error

My fork springs should be here today they are about 20 miles from the delevery point :)

I assume I just need to put it on the center stand raise the front tire off the ground ? do I need to do that ? remove clip ons, remove fork tube caps, Remove springs, mesure lenght of springs, cut spacers to make new springs the same lenght as the old springs, intstall springs and spacers, replace caps, Mesure sag, reopen adjust shims,closer mesure sag, Reopen cut shims hhehehe hope not to many times, lower center stand and go ride the crap out of it.

did I miss anything.

and what should the sag be in the front I found an article that explains mesureing it.

Thanks :) for the bike falling over tip hehe. I ended up blocking the engine and doing 1 spring at a time. Other than having to cut the spacer it took all of 20 minutes to change. I did not check the sag yet but it rides WAY better!!!!!

I ended up cutting the shim so that the 1.1 traxxion spring is exactly the same length as the stock spring and spacer. The best part so far is the front dont bouce up and down from the fucked up SO cal freeways. Well I shoudl say it removed 80 % of it on my usual route. And It is nice that when you put on the brakes it dont drop 12 inches hehehe. It does still drop some but that is expected when you are stopping 800 lbs.

I am going to be checking the sag this weekend. Any hard numbers for what it should be I think I saw them on the UK board I am going to search over there.

For anyone wanting to do it The basics are Put the bike on the center stand use a floor jack and get the front tire in the air and block it up. I did one side at a time. Removed clutch resovur and ziptied it to the bars to hold it upright. Got a 15/16 socket and extention and loosend the top fork nut. It will not come all the way off when it gets all the way loose pull up on it the Dampning rod is still hooked to it. Put a 14 or was it 15 mm open end wrench on the nut at the top of the dampner rod. Then use the 15/16 socket to loosen the fork cap from the rod. Set the cap off to the side. Pull out the shim its going to drip oil so have a rag ready. I used a wire hanger to reach down into the tube and grab hold of the spring its down in there 6-8 inches. There is a washer on the top of the spring to protect it from the shim I removed it and used it between the new spring and shim.

Ths spring will have oil on it also. I then set the Shim stock spring and washer on the work bench and measured the overal lenght. Cut off a pice of the new aluminum shim to make the New spring and shim the same size as the old one. I debured the new shim and cleaned it with acitone also cleanded the new spring. Let them dry and dropped the spring in dropped the washer in then dropped the shim in. Connected the rod back to the cap and reinstalled it. The other side is exactly the same.

The one thing to watch is when you remove the cap from the rod dont let the 14 mm nut turn or it can change the length of your dampning rod.

I would rate this one of the best 100 bucks I have ever spent on mods.