CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changing stator

Dotetcher

Latest update. Ron Ayers sent me the wrong stator. Looks the same but the connector on the end is different. The original has a config of 2 female recepticles parallel and one perpendicular, sort of a T formation. The one that was sent has 3 parallel recepticles (lll). The stator itself seems to be the exact same dimensions as the old one. I've heard the newer stators have a higher output than the earlier ones so maybe this isn't a bad thing. So what do I do?

a. send the wrong one back and get the right one.

b.pick up a wiring harness off a newer bike and just use the wire for the stator and rectifier. (would this work?)

c. cut the connector off the old stator and wire it to the new one.

d. Hookers

I'd rather go with c. if posssible. Has anyone ever done this and if so how do you figure which wire goes to which recepticle.

Oh yeah. If a phone call would be easier PM me and I'll give you my cell #.

For those that may be interested. I've installed the stator in my '97 I got from Ron Ayers. The one they sent was for the later year xx's. I spliced the connector from the old stator onto the new stator because the connections were different. I've been told by some on the Concours owners group it should work fine. So far it does!!

Do the newer ones put out more juice?
If touring 2-up is important to you, there are some key advantages to scoring a '99 or later Blackbird: aside from being fuel injected (the '97-'98 models are carbed), the later model Blackbird have a larger fuel tank capacity (6.3gal vs 5.8gal), and a larger alternator (460watts vs 390 watts)

This is from a thread on the PUB. So the answer would be yes.