CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pipe Cleaning (Not you, pothead)

Squirtster

Was trying to think of a way to get the carbon off the ends of my pipes without abrasive. I tried Carb Cleaner and it's AMAZING!! They look new with minimal effort. Maybe this is old news for some, but every 'bird I've seen has the same deposits on the mufflers and it looks bad. I've had mine for 2 years and they were getting pretty bad. Make shure and avoid overspray as it might damage the finish. Hope this helps someone as it shure looks nice. :D

I was told by another Blackbird owner, who had extremely clean pipes, that I should use Blue Magic Polish from Walmart. Available in the car wash section.

After a few scoldings from him over my icky pipes, I found the stuff, and tried it. It's amazingly easy. I clean the whole pipe with it. Not just the smudgy end caps. Six months and no hazing or discoloring or anything.

I just read the replies and herein lies my concern. Abrasive cleaner. I posted this as an alternative to "Mothers" "Softscrub" and all the other cleaning stuff, including "Magic erasure" from Arm & Hammer. I like the original scratches from polishing and didn't want to change them. The pipes are stainless steel and are not coated. The acting agent, methylin-chloride is a solvent and won't harm steel, but paint finish is another story. I sprayed the carb cleaner on a rag, then applied it to my pipes to watch the funk just disappear. I then proceeded to the rest of the stainless and trust me, they look like new. To each his own I guess, but this method won't scratch your pipes and they look absolutely new. Try it, I double dog dare ya! :wink:

My pipes don't have any residue on them at all. I mean at all. It's been run for maybe an hour total since the new slip-ons were attached. I'm going with the mothers approach. Hasn't failed me in the past.