CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin Pilot Roads Air Pressure Question.

FiXXation

I have to ask, before I rub anymore rubber off these new Roads:

Has anybody found the air pressure "sweet spot" to make the Roads live the longest without flat-spotting the rear's middle? 180 pound rider before gear.

You have to ride a long way on pretty much straight, coarse roads around here to get to anything like a twisty section.

Weave between the lines on the long straight sections. Damn the other motorists when it comes to flat spots.

Anyhoo, I don't run the Pilots, but generally low pressure will eat the tires up due to heat buildup and high pressure reduces the contact patch. I run my Avons at 40 psi on the slab for the rear and it works pretty well. Reduce pressure for the twisties for the stick.

I am on my second Pilot and got 9000 mile out of mine before developing about an inch wide bald ring on the rear. I run 42psi, 300lb rider before gear :D

I ran the OEM Dunlop D205's at 40 on the rear, and after about 7000 miles, it had a bald 1 1/2 inch strip with a 3/8 inch "zipper" in the middle.

The Dunlops felt hard as a rock and skittish around the corners at 42f/42r, and better at 38f/40r where they stayed for most of the miles. But, the Michelin Roads feel absolutely plush in comparison with 42f/42r. A couple more thousands of miles sounds good.

I had enough rubber to do a few burnouts with it before changing the tire :D and still no cord showing through. I probably could have rode for some time on what I had left but didnt want to risk it if I got caught out in a rain shower. I use the XX as my gas saving commuter vehicle :roll: :roll:

I had enough rubber to do a few burnouts with it before changing the tire :D and still no cord showing through. I probably could have rode for some time on what I had left but didnt want to risk it if I got caught out in a rain shower. I use the XX as my gas saving commuter vehicle :roll: :roll:

What he said, got over 9000 on my 020's before the center flat spot was down to smooth tread. I just changed to Pilot Roads. Seem to be handling great, but mostly have only done a few flat road ride with cruizers and motoring from home to work and back and making the most of those tight curve Interstate on ramps.

Anyhew, I keep my tires at 42 psi front and rear.

I'm on my 3th set of Roads.

I put 38/41 ...and they've lasted about 9K.

Sweet spot for not getting the flat middle ?

Definatelly not Chicago ! :twisted:

If I lived near Shady Valley, my tires would have even wear from edge to edge, like almost every single bike I saw there.... 8)

Cheers,

Just for reference, those of you getting 8000+ from your Avons and Michi's, what did you get out of your OEM or otherwise 205's, BT57's etc...?

I only got about 6500 from my stock BT57s. I think I'm a bit more consistant checking air pressure now than I was though. I'm running 42/42 in my Avons and I like the feel so far with about 2K on them.

Which ones do you like better, Dale, the Roads or Avons?

No question: the Avons.

Not that the Pilot Roads are bad, mind you, because they are not. They are an excellent tire for the XX. But the Avons are superior, in my experience.

Just for reference, those of you getting 8000+ from your Avons and Michi's, what did you get out of your OEM or otherwise 205's, BT57's etc...?

~6300 miles on my oem BT57's, and they were quite toast at that point....