CBR1100XX.org Forum

OEM brake pads

tgo63

Am I the only one who prefers oem brake pads over aftermarket? I base my experience on my previous bike kawasaki zr-7s. I tried ebc and galfer on kawi and each time I felt I had better feel with oem. Aftermarket also used to make more noise. Another thing I noticed was not much improvement over stock kawi shock when I installed wilbers 640 at about 30000 miles. I only weight about 170lbs. I decided to get complete set of oem pads for the blackbird from arizona motor sport for a total $110 delivered. I still have lots of life in original pads with 19000 miles but want to have spare set just in case. Anybody knows if the oem pads can be bought for less then I paid?

Thanks

Most of my miles is commuting 25 miles one way, about 22 miles is highway. I prefer using engine braking then actual brakes whenever possible. I checked my pads using flashlight today and it seems as mine are not affected by uneven wear as some mentioned

The OEM pads are good. Very good. BUT....

Only today did I piece Night Train back together and was able to hit the road and bed in the Carbone Lorraine SBK-3 brake pads on the new ABM rotors, and test out the new Spiegler SS lines.

FUCK ME TO TEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The stopping power I now have is just hard to freakin' describe!! It is BEYOND AWESOME!

If you think the stock setup is good (and it is), it is still NOTHING compared to this Spiegler setup! Now, obviously, the SS lines are making a huge difference, true enough. But these fucking Carbone Lorraine SBK-3 pads coupled with the ABM rotors are just mind-blowing they way they bring the XX to screetching halt, and I mean, RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

This here is The Shit, fellas!

FinalFrontWheel3.jpg

I decided to get complete set of oem pads for the blackbird from arizona motor sport for a total $110 delivered.

.. did you say Arizona Motorsports? :pistols: :bitchslap:

O.K. I will keep my mouth shot :oops:

I used SBK-3.

I think they need warming up . I had some - not scary really- moments with them. A guy with a cheapoBusa agrees with me.

I prefer OEM.

PS: nice rotors Warchild, is the rear one same pattern as well?

I too liked the OEM pads, just fine.

And when I needed pads, at about 12k, the EBC Sintered HH's I installed front and rear had such strong initial bite, I just about had to re-learn how to brake. It literally took me days to get used to it. (Also I had those squishy stock front springs.)

And one thing- I've never heard anyone complain about braking during rain. That initial bite is GONE in the wet. It seems to be getting better as the pads wear, but still not like dry.

I just installed a set of OEM brake pads on the rear yesterday.

With the EBC's on the front (soon to be Carbon Lorraine's), it's my way of giving the LBS more front brake bias.

I would never go back to stock front brake pads after experiencing how much better some aftermarket pads work.

Todd, the stockers were copper in color, with stainless steel shims.

The EBC's aren't?  

You also can add ft bias by putting braided lines on the front and letting the rear lines stock.

Going Spiegler full line kit.

Which reminds me...

I have that TSR bracket around here somewhere that I should put up for sale :?

I think they need warming up . I had some - not scary really- moments with them.

What kind of "moments" did you have"? Do you have stock rubber lines?

My SBK-3's had some hard initial bite right out of the box. Then again, the Spiegler lines obviously have a big say-so in a big initial bite....

PS: nice rotors Warchild, is the rear one same pattern as well?

Negative, ABM doesn't make the rear XX rotor (in this model, anyway, they may for other rotor versions. See: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/rotors.cfm )

Do you have stock rubber lines?

Yes I do, but keep in mind that I bleed my front brakes at least once a month (not by means of periodic maintenance but 'cause I am feeling a little sponginess) and most of the time there are bubbles. Also I am a little reluctant to change to high pressure lines, because over here most of the time we have dusty roads (therefore glazed) roads and feel matters more than power.

The 'moments' I had with SBK-3 were when I had to brake hard with cold brakes and there wasn't any initiall bite or good braking power. Whenever this happened, then I repeated 2-3 times hard braking from medium speeds (50 to 90 mph) and I could feel the brakes getting stronger.

I've been runing the EBC HH pads and I think they were an improvement, plus I like that "wooosh" sound they generate ! :D

Has anyone received their GB kit yet ? Man, I'm getting excited !!!

Any updates ?

I rode my bike through salt and snow and you can imagine how all the hardware looks now. Can't wait to put the new kit on !

Is it the time yet ?! :twisted:

Cheers,

Yes I do, but keep in mind that I bleed my front brakes at least once a month (not by means of periodic maintenance but 'cause I am feeling a little sponginess) and most of the time there are bubbles.

Sotiris, this really sounds more like your old lines are allowing air in the system somehow. You ought to consider braided lines anyway; you'll still get plenty of feedback and the ability to modulate the lever, trust me.

Little known fact: stock rubber lines should be replaced at least every 4-ish years, or so. Many (even most) owners don't do this, and old lines allow air and mositure to permeate them a lot easier than one would think. These old lines also expand a lot more as they age, which definitely contributes to the "sponginess" you mention. You don't want to wait so long that this happens to ya:

rupturedline_02.gif

It's really stunning how I can now pull back on my front brake lever, and it travels barely 3/4" before hitting the proverbial brick wall. Even then, I can still pull back maybe another 1/4"; this is the range of brake lever modulation. The Spiegler lines kick some serious, SERIOUS ass.... I can't believe I waited 5 years/65,000 miles to install them....

Warchild I fully agree with you about the deterioriation of rubber lines with time. However my XX is relatively new ('03 with 14000 kms).

Don't think that I am getting bubbles like the big ones when you replacing brake fluid, only small ones and only with the first opening of the bleed valve.

Except of some sponginess, some times I feel a somewhat uneven braking form the front rotors. This is hardly noticeable and mostly with cold brakes.

All this as you know are very subjective, but for e.g. some times I feel that my ride height is lowered and I find my rear tire pressure is minus 2 or 3 psi.

My only experience whith braided lines is when I replaced the first line (from the master cylinder) in my Ninja when I fitted US spec handlebars (higher). The brake lever travel was significantly reduced.

Overally the front brake was improved and the lever travelled was decreased. The one thing that I didn't like was that when you hit the 'brick wall' the lever went hard.

Ie you have less adjustment during modulation of the brakes, hence it is easier to lock the brakes in the type of tarmacs that we have here.

I think one mistake people are making is saying steel lines will give you more braking "power".

Warchild, those rotors are wicked looking. $300 a pop?

On Honda sportbikes the oem pads are hard to beat. At least on the RC, 954, etc. Not sure about the XX though.

I do know I like DP sintered better than EBC. They're quiet and a little easier to modulate.

I can get super prices on OEM Honda parts. I'll check on the pads next week.

I know one thing, the pads that I run now won't be back on when they wear out. I've went from stock pads that crapped out at 9K to a set of the Galfer greens. They bite good in the dry, but are the worst pad I've ever seen in the wet. Wooden feel and honestly scary :shock: when wet. Next set will be the EBC HH's. One thing about the greens is they are an organic pad, not metalic, and they shed dust real bad as well. Can't be havin the dust on my shiny wheels. :wink:

Dale,

got the dreaded email today confirming ABM does not make rotors for the 97..... :(:(

I still have the lines and pads coming. Guess I'll have to Dremel some waves in my stock rotors :lol::lol: