CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tools

N1K

Ok, more tool questions...

What are some common consumables to keep on hand with a tool set?

I already have a tub of standard grease, some jb weld, wd-40 :mrgreen:

What else do I need?

I thought:

Loc-tite

anti-sieze?

brake cleaner?

What else?

Loctite - Yup, both blue and red

Anti-Sieze - Definitely. Use on brake caliper bolts or anything else subject to heat.

Brake Cleaner - By the case. This is my do-all cleaner.

Some other ideas- Laquer thinner, paper towels, cloth rags, QD electrical cleaner, carb cleaner, PB Blaster (the best rust penetrant. period.), dielectric grease, brass & stainless brushes, tub of waterless hand cleaner, zip ties, primary wire, o-ring pick, magnetic parts tray...ad on infinitum. :wink:

Single edged razor blades, digital camera (for remembering how shit goes back together), did I mention zip ties?, electrical tape, pair of dykes (pliers, not hairy plaid-wearing women), solderless connectors and bullet connectors, multimeter, crimpers, small butane torch, soldering iron & solder, heat shrink tubing, 18" screwdrivers, flashlight or flourescent droplight, battery charger, metric T-handle assortment, a second ratchet in 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" sizes, stubby ratchets...

Seriously tho, I use all these on a daily basis and couldn't live without em, altho you've got the luxury of picking up shit as you need it.

Congrats on all the tools, as was said before it is an addiction.

Can never have enough. Of course last night while I was rebuilding my transfer case I realized at had a 29 mm wrench and a 27 mm, but no 28 mm.

One thing I haven't heard suggested: Get a good set of T-handle allen wrenches. Makes quick work of taking just about everything off the bird.

I have two sets, one Craftman, the other is Harbor Freight. The Sears T-handles are obviously far superior, but the Harbor Freight ones are colored differently for easy recognition.

PB Blaster (the best rust penetrant. period.),

We've tried damn near everything including PB. PB is good stuff, but this is better. It's hard to find but it doesn't creat a fireball if you spray it on redhot parts.

zep45nc_480x548-034.jpg

As for a rubber mallet, get a shot-filled one, called a deadblow hammer.  They don't bounce like rubber and sound like maraccas.  They put a lot of force on target and you don't have to worry about the rebound.  

Nice choice on the tool set, I started out much the same way, with a $200, 300-piece Craftsman set.  About the only thing I'd suggest is get some better ratchets, as the Craftsman ratchets are junk.  Not fine enough teeth for my taste.  I'd suggest Proto, Blackhawk, Snapon or Mac.

I have to agree 100% here! Not many people mention them, but I think they are of superior quality. I have had my nice little (id say about 30-35 piece) ratchet set for about 12 years. I am using them ALL of the time for work on my cars, past/current bike, and everything else. Come in a nice black plastic container with clear plexi glass top. The ratchet and all the sockets and extensions are really top-notch; never an issue with them.

Seeing all these tools reminds meof when I was in the Navy. I worked in a tool room and we had thousands of all kinds of tools :D Drawers of torque wrenches and micrometer sets.....very informative job; learned a shit-load.

Very nice set-up you got going there Nik :D

steve

Hey Nik,

We all forgot to adivse another important tool - a good set of Calipers! I got my digital (highly recommended!) set from Harbor Freight. They ran about $20? They are very handy when reassembling the front end (measuring the fork tubes), measuring bolts or screws, measuring brake rotors, etc. I went years without a set but use mine all the time now.

Also:

one of those extending magnetic picker-upper thingies,. They run about $3 at most any cheesie tool bin (got mine at Do-it-center). These are a life saver when you drop, and you will drop, screws and shit in your motor or fairing.

Rolls of masking tape - these are used when you take stuff apart you can put a piece of tape on whatever part so you remember that it needs to later be torqued or where it connects to. Especially helpful when disconnecting electrical crap.

After you've had some fun with your tools, and oil drain plug, you'll get the treat of purchasing such neat things as "easy-outs", taps, and dies as we all start fucking with every bolt purely to see how we can destroy them all...

Oh yeah, a decent hand held shop light (flourescent?) from Sears or places like that.

We all forgot to adivse another important tool - a good set of Calipers!

lol... I just so happend to have picked up a set when I was at Home DeepHo tonight.

It was only $10 so its not "TOP" of the line.. but didn't see anything nicer that caught my eye. Digital would be cool.

one of those extending magnetic picker-upper thingies,.

ROTF... Too funny. I picked up one of those too at the auto store.

Also picked up red and blue loctite, die-electric grease, anti-sieze, the rubber mallet (27 ounce with the shot inside) A 4 pound hammer, a ball peen (sp?) hammer, gasket seal (black rtv stuff)

and brake cleaner.

A full 16 piece (I think) set of star tip tools (that fit on a 3/8 drive)

I've got a really good hand-held shop light already. bought that last year to use when I winterize my boat.

And, if you don't already have one, get a good - repeat, good - cordless drill. This will save you more time than anything when removing and installing fasteners of all kinds.