CBR1100XX.org Forum

Timing Advancer: what's the verdict?

Master Of Pain

I've searched quite a bit for some conclusive information... What's the story on timing advancement and this bike? (97-98) I want to get a 4 degree, but I've heard reports that advancers have robbed horsepower. Also, does the advancer make the engine require higher octane fuel?

Thanks!

I doubt they would have much affect at all.

Remember the bird has a 2 degree timing retard function built in utilizing a knock sensor so my guess is it's already near the edge as far as timing advance performance gains.

Unfortunately there aren't any "cheap" power gains for the bird. Have to go for pipes and a jet kit to see noticable improvement.

Now that I think about it I don't remember if the carb versions have knock sensors?

Guest rockmeupto125

No knock sensors on the carbies, and Factory sells the ignition advancers for them. Master.....do a search for them, there've been a couple threads here in the garage. Properly used, they're an adjunct to a fine tune, but aren't a generic device.

I just rode my bike today for the first time with the 4 degree advancer. I also added a tooth to the rear so I am not sure which made the difference. Where I could seem to tell the difference was in high gear pulling up a long hill, it really pulled hard. The speedo was at 160 and it was still coming on strong. I heard no pinging but I run 93 gas anyway (no comments please :D ).