CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Life

Rales

I have read and searched about this. I am unsure what to go by here. I have read that chains last about 13,000 miles to 20,000 depending on care etc. There are also the little markers for when adjusting your chain to let you know when you need to replace it. Well, my bike now has 15,000 miles on it and I beleive the original chain, although I bought the bike used at 6500 miles last august. The mark on the adjustment for the chain still says I'm in the middle of the green with my chain adjusted properly. So how do I know when its time to replace. Should I go simply by miles, or should I go by the little wear marker or is there another way to check. Seriously my biggest fear about the chain is having it break, destroy my engine cases and then cause my to wreck, to which I'm really not intersted. If im beating a dead horse here I appologize.

....So how do I know when its time to replace.  Should I go simply by miles, or should I go by the little wear marker or is there another way to check.   Seriously my biggest fear about the chain is having it break, destroy my engine cases and then cause my to wreck, to which I'm really not intersted.  If im beating a dead horse here I appologize.

I dunno if it's the correct way but the last two times I changed my chain one of the links was starting to fail. By that I could tell because it would make a pop sound everytime it made a revolution. I rode it about 1500 miles with it doing that the last time (not by choice but just trying to get home). You chain will let you know when it's done by starting to talk to you.

Side note. I always change out the sprockets when I get a new chain, so they can all wear evenly.

Ok thanks a ton, right now it just sounds like a smooth chain making the same whine that only changes when i oil it. Thanks, how loud is the pop, noticable with a helmet on? I want to make sure I can hear it even over my exhaust and helmet.

Guest rockmeupto125

I had a big treatise typed here, but I'll simplify it. Nobody wants to here me spout.

Checking chain.

1. Inspect chain for obvious pieces out of place and cracked rollers...these would be bad things.

2. Roll wheel to watch chain as it loads and unloads from the sprocket. Obvious kinking or snapping noises are a bad thing.

3. pull the chain away from the sprocket at a 3 o'clock position as you face the left side of the rear wheel. If you can expose more than half the height of the sprocket tooth at that point, you should replace. Do this at several places on the chain because chain elongates unevenly.

4. Examine the sprocket teeth. If they are assuming a hooked appearance from wear, or the shiny wear marks from the chain rollers are significantly out of the bottom (valley) of the sprocket teeth, you should replace the chain...and the sprocket if in the first instance.

• 2 weeks later...

3 year old XX, (now PAID FOR!) almost 27000 miles and the chain is just now making noise and has a few tight spots. It is still in the green zone on the adjuster, no pitch on the sprockets, but is now starting to wear quickly.

The secret? FREQUENT lubing with Honda's red can chain lube, the occasional cleaning with Honda's brake cleaner (which will not harm plastic or rubber), and checking adjustment on a regular basis. It has just recently required more adjustment as it is nearing the end of service life.

Any reports on aftermarket alternative chains?

If your chain snaps off and goes through the windshield of the car behind you, you need a new chain.

I installed a new chain on my XX Saturday night. It has 23500 miles on it. I bought it with 14500 on it 7 months ago and the guy said he had a new chain on it. Only 9000 miles on it BUTT...

The chain he had on it when I bought it used a clipped master link...Not too bad if I am not pushing it too hard...

Little did I realize my chain had TWO clipped links and had pieced together :holyshit:

I figured the price of a new chain was cheap enough insurance versus the price of a new engine. New Pilot Road rear went on also!

Time to scrub off those CHICKEN stripes before MIXXT!! :D

Drats. I am getting the brick red rust showing on the chain. Made a real graunching sound toward the end on my 330 mile flog yesterday in North Ga.

I still haven't paid for my Speigler lines yet......