CBR1100XX.org Forum

What went wrong? (99 XX)

bmmr

First startup of the year, (6months).

One big backfire on crqnking and that's it!! Upon charging the battery, I crank and it'll shoot the odd flame out of the Jardines but no go!

I drained tank and installed new gas but I'm still not getting the 99xx to run. Suggestions any :roll: one??

Michael Raber

Was it prepped for winter? You said 6 months, wI assume this was the first start in 6 months then...? There's a lot of what ifs here.....

Was it running fine before storage, and how did you store it? Does it turn over fine? The battery may have charge to turn it, but there may not be spark.

My battery was very low on me and I tried to start it. I guess that I flooded it cause it never hit and a strong odor of gas was coming out of the pipes. Let the battery charge all day and tried to start it the next day. Took forever to get it to start. When it did finally start, it ran on 1 cylinder for about 10 seconds then another kicked in. Kept it running on the two cylinders for about 2 minutes and then the other two kicked in. It's ran fine ever since. I guess there was enough power to run the fuel pump and turn the bike over a few times but not enough for a good spark. I let it warm up real good and then proceded to make sure all the fuel was burnt off the pistons via a nice high RPM thrashing.

Carbs or FI ? My guess and complete stab in the dark... :lol::lol:

Plugs...the fire/pop/bang/shoot flames out the tailpipe trick, sounds familiar to me...it was plugs... :roll: It happens to my CB900/1100F occasionally/regularly with the identical symptoms. I've always used NGK DR8ES plugs in it. Change plugs and the problem goes away for 8 to 12 months. Go figure...

:roll:

Fouled plugs, definitely.

Don't try cleaning them, just replace them. Mine did the same thing when we re-installed the engine.

I tried to fire it up on what was left in the tank (last year's fuel), and it didn't like it. We ended up draining out the race fuel, thinking that was the problem, but the plugs were already fouled.

At $75/plug, I almost cried :cry:

Kill switch? Not likely as the engine wouldn't trun over with it turned off.

I may have forgotten to add fuel stabilizer as we have 6 bikes in the garage. The original battery holds a charge so that is not the issue.

Maybe 22,000 miles on the original plugs and some slightly stale gas doesn't help the cause so the plugs are coming out! Are they really 15 bucks a pop? Any alternatives?

The light show out of the Jardine RT-1's will be missed once I get Senoir Dos Equis going.

Thanks for all your tips..

Maybe 22,000 miles on the original plugs and some slightly stale gas doesn't help the cause so the plugs are coming out! Are they really 15 bucks a pop?  Any alternatives?

So the fouling was inevitable, then :roll:

Stick with the stock platinum plugs. Either that, or go with the CR9EHIX-9, and not the IMR9A-9H's. I installed the latter, and got decreased fuel mileage, as well as a start that was not as clean as with the platinum plugs.

http://www.sparkplugs.com or http://www.ronayers.com are the best places to buy plugs, IMO.

Maybe 22,000 miles on the original plugs and some slightly stale gas doesn't help the cause so the plugs are coming out! Are they really 15 bucks a pop?  Any alternatives?

So the fouling was inevitable, then :roll:

Stick with the stock platinum plugs. Either that, or go with the CR9EHIX-9, and not the IMR9A-9H's. I installed the latter, and got decreased fuel mileage, as well as a start that was not as clean as with the platinum plugs.

http://www.sparkplugs.com or http://www.ronayers.com are the best places to buy plugs, IMO.

Just wondering:

Any reason not to go with the Iridium plugs in the 99? If you are supposed to get 30k out of the Iridiums, why would you go with Platinum instead?

Just wondering:

Any reason not to go with the Iridium plugs in the 99?  If you are supposed to get 30k out of the Iridiums, why would you go with Platinum instead?

Chris has some of those wicked-cool PAIR system blockoffs, which makes changing the plugs so easy, that doing so is a new hobby he's taken up.

I actually found the platinums to run cleaner, and start better.

That's why I recommended going with the one type of Iridium over the other. I used the IMR9A-9H's in mine, which were the stock plug for '01-up, with mine being a 2000.

NGK recommends using the CR9EHIX-9 (iridium) in the 97-00 bikes, which is a direct replacement for the stock CR9EHVX-9.

What the difference is, I don't know.

Either that, or scrap the NGK idea, and go with the Denso IU-27, which is probably the best iridium plug made (that fits our bikes).

Now, if they only made it in a heat range I can use..... :roll:

I would say 90% bad gas. I have friends who refuse to put satibilizer in and they run into the exact problems you ahve described.

New gas and a good ride should clean the jets. Even when putting stabilizer in some people forget to run it a bit and the fuel in the line goes bad.

good luck

Brian

Once you get new plugs and get it running, buy some Sea Foam, available at Advance Auto and run it through a tank. Great stuff. Also says it's a stabilizer on the bottle.

6 months no riding, :? where do you live, Siberia????

I'm proud to say I got through winter with at least a ride every month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

No joke SeaFoam is good stuff my brother uses it in his bass boat (Evinrude 200) and swears by the stuff. I put it in my 87' Magna last year and from Dec to Feb the cycle sat but when good 40degree weather finally came it fired right up and ran like an animal. I had put Stabil in the 86' VFR and it ran like crap threw the first tank. Sea Foam is good stuff. another additive i have used with great success is Chevron Techron. for carb cleaning this stuff cant be beat. My 87'Magna was running poorly and a guy on supermagna.com suggested Techron to clean the carbs and all that other stuff the engine made a really angry growl threw the two tanks of gas i ran with the Techron something was deffinatly happening. after the techron tank ran out i filled up with 91 octaine and that old 87' ran like brand new it had never pulled so hard. so in summary Seafoam= good staibilizer/ carb cleaner , Chevron Techron= really good carb cleaner