CBR1100XX.org Forum

3 problems

mbarr78

Hello, my bike is a 97' with 23,000mi (bought it a year and a half ago with 6900mi).

First, I washed the bike the other day and when I left the car wash my speedo didn't work. Rode about 10 miles and it started to jump around but did't work properly. Next day after completly dry worked perfect any ideas.

Next, recently the bird wouldn't start. Key on, run switch in correct position, kickstand up, clutch pulled, in neutral, nothing. So I put it into first rolled the bike a little and let out the clutch to turn the motor a little and hit the button and it came alive. It has done this about 5 times now. I have just preformed the above steps and it starts everytime. Maybe the solinoid or starter. Any ideas on this.

Last, when I hit about 4000rpm and pin the throttle the bike surges until it hits about 7000rpm then takes off like a rocket. Only mod is K&N. The pipes leave a gold residue at the tips. I am guessing it is a lean condition but I don't understand how just the filter could create this much of a difference. I don't remeber having this surging problem before the air filter swap. With the bike sitting idling if you wack the throttle open you can get it to surge a little. I have ran to tanks of seafoam through it and it made the bike run a little better but did nothing for the surging problem. Any ideas on this.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

:???:

1) I don't wash my bike at a car wash so I don't have this issue. Typically, I clean the top end of my bike with a spray bottle so that I don't have flowing water running down on my electronics. Now, technically, the bike shouldn't have any problems at all, but if you got water in somewhere that normal rain wouldn't let water get too, that could have caused it. I don't know what everybody elses "proper" wash procedure is, but I don't "flow" water over my bike. Mist only, then dry with a towel.

2) Sounds like a starter to me. What is happening is that when you put it in gear and roll it forward or backward, it is getting out of it's dead spot and allowing the voltage to turn the starter over. Now it could be the solenoid, but the only way to really know is to tap on it with a screwdriver and see if that makes it start without rolling the bike in gear. I don't know if they are two separate parts or not, so somebody else will have to answer that part of your question.

3) I've always been told that the K&N doesn't really change that much, so I agree that the filter is probably not your problem. However, did you change plugs when you did the filter? They are supposed to be changed at approximately the same time, and if you didn't do that, the surge could be caused by a burned tip on a plug making the gap greater than it should be.

My vote for the problems, well the first two of them, is in the wiring harness. Early birds suffered from a tight spot in the harness that would rub on the frame causing some shorts, when wet this problem would be amplified.

My suggestion would be to check your wiring loom. Light brown tint on your exhaust would be lean. Looks like a jet kit is in order, or a good run through of your carbs.

Well I should have specified "before I furred it".

Now I just run a brush over it to get the bug guts off. The only thing I clean are the mirrors, wheels, swingarm, windscreen, and headlight. Which basically means that 1 paper towel and a glass of water and my bike is clean :lol:

Don't pressure wash your bike. water will get places it was never intended.

Check your battery chargeing and make sure battery connections are tight, and not just with a phillips screwdriver.

For the surgeing, start with running some Sea Foam, Chevron Techron or other fuel system cleaner through it.

After that do a search for carb. I've given my carb. mods several times to get rid of that hesitation.

This may help or it may not...

Problem 1- If you changed the plugs and did not use dielectric grease on/in the plug caps, water could be partially shorting the fire to the plug. This is really common and I've had several bikes and cars that were "sensitive" to it. Check condition of the plug wires themselves also. The coil end of the plug wires should also get dielectric grease if they have been removed or replaced.

Problem 2- Is the bike sitting long periods between starting attempts? Does it seem to not do this if started daily or at least every few days? It could easily be the solenoid itself or if the long interval between starts is common, you could be experiencing some slight build up of corrosion and contact resistance on the starter motor brushes themselves. This should be an easy circuit to follow with a voltmeter and see where you have voltage and where you don't when the starter button is depressed.

Problem 3- I have no clue! :roll: I'm still too new an aquaintance of the Bird to make any type of experienced or educated guess. If problems on the carbed XX's follow other bikes, midrange surging is often a lean condition. If jetted, raise the needle a notch or two...??? maybe...

Good luck! Warm weather has to be just around that next long sweeper...

:mrgreen:

Thanks to all for the feedback.

When I wash the bike I never point the spray wand directly at the guages or that area of the bike.

My father is a retired mechanic, so I had a lengthy talk with him and he is relativly certain that the starter alone is the culpret. Some of his reasoning was because it will start every time by simply bumping it in gear and moving the engine.

To answer some of the suggestions. I start or ride the bike at least once a week sometimes more. It has done this to me twice while toward the end of a 300mi ride just a week ago. It does this randomly, it will start fine then it may not one time then start fine another 10 times.

Now it's sounding like a sticking brush in the starter. If it wasn't for the bodywork you could give the starter a rap with a screwdriver handle and it would start.

Maybe too much water in the starter. Brush springs are rusted in their bores.

I don't hose or press. wash my bike. just a wet rag.

I've rebuilt my starter on my V65 Sabre but that was in the high 60K mile range.

Last problem first:

1)Try reinstalling the stock air cleaner and running the bike for awhile. If the surge disappears or diminishes, rejetting the carbs may be required in order to run the K&N filter

2)From your description the starter might be the source of the starting problem, but I would recommend keeping the troubleshooting procedure simple, and try to eliminate one possibility at a time until the source is revealed.

3)Don't use a pressure washer to wash the bike. You'll force water into places it ordinarily might not reach, and create headaches much like the one you're experiencing.

Early birds suffered from a tight spot in the harness that would rub on the frame causing some shorts,

Where about on the harness was the tight spot? My bike don't have any trouble but if I knew where to look, maybe I could prevent it from happening.