CBR1100XX.org Forum

16K mile Valve check

Dano

OK so I have 16K miles on my 2002 Bird. From some of the reading I hear not to bother with a valve check at 16K.

I f I deceide to do it, is it all that hard to do. I've read the manual, but I'd like to hear from a few that have done it, if you think it's necessary at this time and if it can/should be done by some one with moderate mechanical apitiude. (relative term I know.) I just did all the fluids, brake, clutch, radiator, forks, new plugs air cleaner and was wondering about the valve clearance check.

thanx

Dan

I don't think you'll find anyone to recommend a valve check at 16,000 miles. I had my valve cover off for another reason at about 14,500 miles so I checked mine. They were all in spec. and none needed adjustment.

Getting the cover off is kind of a pain in the ass, but the valve check is easy after that.

something I learned the hard way, should you decide to do it, is to pull the valve cover out the front, as you are instructed to do in the manual. Do not try to take it out the top unless you are out of practice with your cursing and have an extra hour to spare. You'll need to take down the rad and oil cooler as illustrated in the manual, but it's like 3 bolts. Pulling it out the front is much easier than going out the top. :oops:

Good to know. I took mine out the front and planned to try it from the top if I ever do it again. I usually have my cursing finely tuned, so I'll just stick with the front method. :lol:

Take it out the front????

Where does it even say to do that??

I've always pulled it out the top, no problems. I remove the top bolt of the radiator only because the plastic "airguide" for the radiator lays on the valve cover.

I think you should check at the prescribed intervals, even if all you do is check. Good peace of mind. You might have the 1 bike that needs adjustment.

For the record at 52K miles, mine has never had the cams out.

Besides, depending on where you live, it's winter, what else are you going to do with your bike?

Maybe it's the difference between the carb and FI models. The manual procedure for FI's tells you to take it through the front.

I checked my clearences just before 16,000, and one exhaust clearance was right down at the minimum. I left it and rechecked them earlier in the winter with 22,000 on the clock and that one clearance was exactly the same. So I swapped the shim in that one to bring it back to the centre of the tolerance.

Maybe it left the factory like that, who knows. Its worth checking them, just for the piece of mind.

Stu