CBR1100XX.org Forum

Winter Tune-Up WOW!

sk6f3

I pulled out the two washers I had added to each stock needle. Opened my slide hole from 7/64 to 1/8. I left my idle jet at one over over stock at 45. New plugs, new oil and clean K&N filter. What a difference! It was about 34 this afternoon for my test ride. As I rode easy initially, I noticed the temp guage was riding a little higher, was I so rich last year that the extra fuel was keeping the heads cool? As I opened the throttle in first from low RPM, no flat spots, and I got the usual power wheelie at 7K, but as I kept it pinned the front was rising way faster than before the rejet. I dropped front tire back to earth, hit second and nailed it again. I am forward, with no clutch and the front is lifting again! My bike did not power wheelie in second so easily before. Of course I had to test this again and again. No doubt, the bike is pulling harder everywhere. Fun afternoon, great to make a change and have it work well. Thanks for the ideas.

You know there is a stock washer on the needle right? So you had a total of 3 washers on each needle initially? You'll probably get better mileage now. That's a lot of lift.

Do you have a pipe or stock exaust?

I just got a Gerbings electric jacket liner and was out yesterday and am still amazed at the power I gained with the slide hole drilling.

Going out today, probably the last time for awhile, snows coming. :cry:

I'll fill up today also and get another tank in to get my MPG. I don't think I lost much if any.

Oh, and you are welcome. :wink:

I did retain the stock washer on the needle. Rode the bike all last season with three total washers. I had no flat spots but I think it was too rich. Plugs with 8K were not light brown, more of a dark and damp look.

I have the stock header with Staintunes and the outlet baffle installed (too loud for me without it). I have a 17t front and 47 tooth rear. Best milage I could get riding easy and near the speed limit was ~34, and only 30 or less, if riding agressively.

For seat of the pants power comparisons, I've been out several times this winter. Clear, dry and 10 was the coldest day. I could feel the extra punch from the low temp, but the increased power with the jetting changes is much greater.

I wonder which change is having the greatest effect, increasing the slide hole, or leaning the needle?

I have to order new tires. I ended up liking the performance of my pilot roads, but I have a little less than 3K and the rear is almost done with the front not far behind. I always ran between a range of 39-42 in both the front and rear. Two sets of Diablos before these were even worse. I plan on trying Avons this time.

It will be a while before I can report back on milage, everything is white again, we are looking at 3-6 inches of snow today.

Just got back, put 210 miles on the tank and put in 5.1 gallons for right at 40 MPG. :grin:

Now I love the carb. slide mod even more!

Glad I found someone else who can burn through a rear in 3K miles. Esp. a Pilot Road.

That'll be it for me also for awhile till this snow goes. :cry: