CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cold engine, low idle...WTF

Titbird

Alright...this is starting to bug me now....

This has been happening for the last few weeks...when the engine is cold (first start up of the day)...I turn the key and start the bike. It used to start up just fine. Then every once in a while, it would start but have a VERY low idle...like fucking 2 rpm... I would shut it off and restart and the idle would be just fine.

After a while, I found if I let the fuel pump finish it's initial whine, the low idle problem became non existant.

Then the problem came back even after letting the pump finish. Now I find myself turning on the key, letting the pump finish, then turning the stop engine switch to off then on again to let the pump cycle for a second time before starting her up. this helped for a while.

Not any longer.

NOW I have to start the bike twice everytime the engine is cold just to get the proper "high" idle.

What gives ??? Any ideas ??

I prolly should mention it's a y2k injected bird...

- Titbird

Oh Joe...I saw that you replied and was all excited to get a knowledgable answer from a bike guru... instead I get a slap and a tickle...and still have to start the bike twice....

waaaah

:grin:

Starts absolutely fine any time after that second start....and fine after being warmed up.... but if I let it sit over night the problem returns...

I'm thinking something to do with that stupid wax thingy....

:headscratch:

I like the way you think Joe....

What was my original question ??

Do I recall you saying the bike has sat for sometime now?

How about a tank of fresh fuel mixed with a quality fuel injection cleaner (as Joe already suggested), and a good all-day roadtest.

Failing that, give her a tune-up.

Good idea Mith....

The bike had not sat for a while...I ride it all the time. It did sit for a few months over the horrendous winter we had so maybe you're right North.

I've already gone through 2 or 3 tanks of fuel while this problem has been occuring. and the problem didn't start right after the bike came out of winter storage... the problem started like 3 months later...

I will do the injector cleaner just for S & G's..... and look into replacing the fuel filter/s ... what's the replacemnet interval? Where are the filters located?

I have 10k on the bike and replaced the plugs and air filter (K/N) at 8k.

This is a side note I wrote to JoeRock about an old post I had made:

Hey Joe..

I don't know if you remember but a long time ago, on the old board, I had a post in the garage section about a problem w/ the TPS connector. I was getting 8 blink codes on the fi light and constantly had to fiddle w/ the connector. I was experiencing throttle response issues and every time I reseated the connector they would go away....for a while. So last time I fiddled w/ it, I took the connector apart and "re-sprung" the little pins to make a tighter grip on the posts of the TPS. This worked very well and I thought my problems were gone forever. just about the time when my starting issues began to act up, my TPS issue returned. I wonder if they are related. I'm seriously considering soldering the damn wires to the TPS.

Thanks guys...

- Tit

This is another pm I sent to Joe:

I was skeptical about soldering too Joe... but some of the guys on the board had suggested it when I posted my problem. I think the heat could damage the TPS.

Every time I had reseated the connector in the past, I would try my best to clean the contacts (kinda tight in there) and would always add dielectric grease to the pins before reconnecting it. This always seemed to work for about a month or 2.

Last time I fiddled w/ it, when I resprung the pins on the female connector, I cleaned everything as best I could (now I had it apart so I could get in there a little better), I added dielectric grease once again and clicked it all back together again. It was much tighter this time and I felt a noticable difference when pushing the connector down onto the sensor. Much more resistance. I even double checked to make sure none of the female pins backed out of the connector due to them being tighter.

I'm really running out of options here....