CBR1100XX.org Forum

which tyre is best forr the xx

Tipi

I bet you have heard this question numerous times.

I have just bought myself a 98 xx (2 weeks ago) and i now need to replace the rear tyre. At the moment it has a BT57 Battalax on which i think is standard fitment from the factory,i was wondering about fitting an 020 would this be a good choice?

I also had the 57's until last week, when I picked up a screw in the rear tire. Tires had 9000 miles so not worth patching at $35. I put 020's front and rear, and really like them after a short 30 mile ride. Had them on a VFR last year and liked them there also. The dealer warned me against putting different tires, especially a new rear and an old front. The tires harden as they age, so you will end up with a higher traction tire on the rear, which is not good for emergency handling. If they are original tires on a 98, they are probably worse than mine was. If the front tire is newer, I would go for a new 57 rear.

MikeG

depends how you ride and where you ride and what combination of the two.

imho, riding majority commute, stick with 020's or 57's oem, but you might try the michelin pilot roads or avon 45/46 st's as many on the list have had good experiences with.

i had a bt010 up front for awhile, started getting cupping and bad traction up from post 4k miles.

i don't know about tires these days for a stickier ride where you aren't concerned about flat spotting them but i'm sure some on the list will have some suggestions.

bear in mind that most comments i've seen include the fact that the bird needs a specific 'kind' of front tire because of it's weight.

Thanks for that info, i have spoken to the local tyre company and they told me that the 57's are getting hard to find as they are been "phased out". They recommended 020 as it is a popular tyre with Blackbird owners. They fitted one for me and i am now process of scrubbing it in.