CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ford help requested.

Guest rockmeupto125

Guest rockmeupto125

You know how when people are just exhausted, you can't wake them up, yet there's really nothing wrong with them?

I dunno, maybe hauling two bikes, two folks, and two sets of gear 1000+ miles each way tuckered the old girl out a bit......

Maybe a little condensation somewhere... somehow.... eventually dried up???

(oops... I'm in the garage again.. can someone point me back to the bar?)

(oops... I'm in the garage again.. can someone point me back to the bar?)

http://cbr.geckobox.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

I'm just here to help... :lol:

Joe:

Run the ad in the paper NOW.. it's RUNNING!!!!

Joe, just for the heck of it, I would put a new distributor cap and rotor on it. I had the same thing happen on my wifes car. I didn't find it for a while. When it happened the second time, I put a new cap on it and it never happened again and that's been about two years now.

He had a good spark, so the ignition system is OK. I'm still thinkin Fuel System. It wouldn't be the inertia switch, they don't reset themselves. It would probably be a bad relay or booster pump. I've seen the switch that switches the front and rear tanks go bad before and it causes the pumps in the tanks not to work. I have dealt with fuel injection problems for years. I used to be a technician in a dealership and just about seen it all.

Guest rockmeupto125

Well........I've not had a problem yet with the switch....but its increasingly frequent that the gauge not work on one tank or the other (needle just falls to the lower "empy" stop). Are they on the same circuit, or might that play a part in it? Thanks, Donnie. Oh...one other thing.....which seems it would be a problem with the valve, not the switch. Gas from one tank will flow into the other on a relatively regular basis. I may use one tank until its 3/4 gone, and then switch to the other only to find that its only half full. Then, if I switch back after an hour or so, there's more gas in the first tank than when I left it. There's no leak...and the gauges are reflecting a fairly accurate condition when they work, because I get the same relative mileage from a fill, and run out of gas when I observe the gauge dropping steadily to empty (rather than just switching to it and having the guage simply fall to the lower stop).

The switch for the front and rear tanks controls the pumps, the valve, and the fuel level sending units in both tanks. If you have a problem with the switch, the pumps might not turn on, the fuel gauge don't work right or the valve won't function properly. That switch may be your problem.

Guest rockmeupto125

The switch itself feels tight and appropriate. Is there anyplace else that might be a problem? Can the switch be disassembled? And if not, it is at basic DPST unit?

Gas from one tank will flow into the other on a relatively regular basis.

My F-250 had a recall on a valve that would go bad and do that. Mine never did but I had the recall work done. The recall said that if you had two full tanks and it did that, it could push the fuel out the filler cap. :shock:

been a while since I worked on dual tank fords, but if i recall it's a basic dpst unit. Once the switch is tripped in one direction it kills the power in the other therefore killing the relays that work the pumps and sending units in the tanks. You might be able to disassemble it and prod around inside it, but any dpst unit should work. Pop the dash surround off and take a look at it in your spare time. You might be able to replace it with a non-ford double pole switch at a fraction of the cost.

Guest rockmeupto125
The recall said that if you had two full tanks and it did that, it could push the fuel out the filler cap.

Yes, this has happened before. I never fill the tanks now unless I'm taking a trip and will be burning off fuel.

That valve may be your culpret. If it allows fuel to go into the other tank, you might not be getting the right amount of fuel pressure to the injectors or none at all if the valve has the fuel going from one tank to the other instead of to the engine.

If neither tank works, and it's a fueling problem, try the switching valve. Bypass it if necessary, or check that the suspect fuel pump(s) are getting power.

Damn, I love being right :wink: