CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Honda...

Red J

So I went to the dealership to buy me a new Honda today:

new_honda.jpg

Bummer to spend this kinda money on shit you really don't want to spend money on. It'll be for sale within a week, I think. Short story is that we had a little ice, and it started dropping powerlines yesterday. The dealer was sold out of all units, including the 5+kV units, by 10. They open at 9.

Good news is, due to Mr. Honda, I have heat, internet, and my bar is well stocked.

J.

He's OK or at least he has internet cuz I got an e-mail from him earlier today. Quite a few outages in the rural areas. The ice storm in 02 cleared out most of the trees around here so I think that helped this time. Supposed to be in the 60s by sunday!!!

Got enough hedge in the garage to last a few more days, so I'm ok. We didn't get near as much ice as everybody else did. 1/2" on top of 4" of rain, followed by an inch of snow at the most. Looks like a Sun. or Mon. ride........ :cool: Anybody?

The guy I worked for a couple summers in college (construction) had a gen-set that we built a shed around that was powered by a Cummins B-series (5.9 like in the Dodge trucks)... It was hooked up such that when the power went out, it flipped off the main breaker and started the engine and let it run for a minimum of 20 minutes or if the outage was longer than that, it ran for like 5 minutes after the power came back on. I am sure this is close to how Todd's is set up?? (so if he's in the basement when the power goes out, he can use the elevator to get back upstairs?)

Mike

Got enough hedge in the garage to last a few more days, so I'm ok. We didn't get near as much ice as everybody else did. 1/2" on top of 4" of rain, followed by an inch of snow at the most. Looks like a Sun. or Mon. ride........ :cool: Anybody?

Good to hear, Joe. A few friends of mine have power, and we could probably have gotten by without this, but it makes life a little easier for Mrs. Red.

We got about the same precip. as you.

Nice Generac, Todd... :cool:

J.

So I went to the dealership to buy me a new Honda today:

new_honda.jpg

Bummer to spend this kinda money on shit you really don't want to spend money on. It'll be for sale within a week, I think. Short story is that we had a little ice, and it started dropping powerlines yesterday. The dealer was sold out of all units, including the 5+kV units, by 10. They open at 9.

Good news is, due to Mr. Honda, I have heat, internet, and my bar is well stocked.

J.

If you can afford it KEEP IT. A decent generator is on my list of needs. It is hard to justify the money for something you may never need. But like a tornado shelter it is something that the one time you need it you NEED it. That one looks damn nice. The hondas are expensive but are supposed to be some of the quietest. Any comments on the noise level?

Todd,

I love you man. There are a couple places here that sell those units and I drool every time I go in there. I will probably wind up with a smaller unit but it would be nice to have it set up like that so that it not only kicks on automatically but also runs off natural gas or propane so you don't have to go feed it for extended outages. It probably also has enough juice to run your whole house. What is is like 12kw?

If you can afford it KEEP IT. A decent generator is on my list of needs. It is hard to justify the money for something you may never need. But like a tornado shelter it is something that the one time you need it you NEED it. That one looks damn nice. The hondas are expensive but are supposed to be some of the quietest. Any comments on the noise level?

I'm not sure which way to go on it, so I'll be keeping it for a while yet. Probably won't do anything until summer. I'm with you, except for the price. It will all depend on how many times I want/need portable power in the next year. It is nice to be able to power the heater, a few lights, the freezer, fridge, internet... all at once.

It is damned quiet, 49-59dBA. It's right outside the door, not fifteen feet away from where I'm at, and you can hear it running, but at the other end of the house, quiet. You more notice that the ecothrottle is working, varying the throttle, not that it's loud. I can't hear it outside, if I'm out front (it's on the back porch). You can easily hold a conversation next to it.

We camp a lot, and despite this thing being a bit large, it's perfect for that due to the quietness, weight and output.

J.

That kinda looks like the Honda PC800, doesn't it??? :shock:

My parents live in ICT (I escaped)--they were fortunate enough to just have lots of tree damage. I feel for you guys--I remember going days without power back in the mid eighties in high school. Not good times...

• 2 weeks later...
Holy Shit Todd, someone stole the siding off of your house while you were sleeping!

:pointup: :lol::lol::lol: ....

Sorry Todd... :oops:

You guys know that you can buy the HONDA generators cheaper (I think at Home Depot) than at the HONDA dealers, right ?!

When I worked at one, people where buying them elsewhere cheaper than the dealer cost was ! :roll:

Cheers,