CBR1100XX.org Forum

97-2002 plastics

FloridaSilverBird

Im planning on eventually getting another bird. I originally had a silver 2002 and I got very attached to the silver color plastics. If I buy another bird, I probably will only have a budget for a 97/98/99 model year, and so it most likely will be black. So i'd like to change out the plastics and essentially change a black into a silver bird without repainting. This includes the gas tank and mirrors, of course.

So, is there anything i should worry about, as far as compatability in model years goes between 97 through 02?

And is there something I might be missing besides the plastics (and engine covers) that would make such a change look funky on a bird?

Hope that made sense.

IMO...

By the time you find..collect..and pay for all the silver body parts/ plus a tank..would be better off just keeping an eye out for a silver bird. The amount you're going to spend on the parts will equal the amount you'd end up spending on the silver one...and more than likely will end up being ALOT more. Finding the parts in perfect shape and not in need of some type of body and paint work is hard enuf'.

My 2cents..though

Tom

IMO...

By the time you find..collect..and pay for all the silver body parts/ plus a tank..would be better off just keeping an eye out for a silver bird. The amount you're going to spend on the parts will equal the amount you'd end up spending on the silver one...and more than likely will end up being ALOT more. Finding the parts in perfect shape and not in need of some type of body and paint work is hard enuf'.

My 2cents..though

Tom

--Your probably right--but sometimes there are deals and maybe they can accumulate to being all the silver plastics. Before I found out something was wrong with my previous bird's frame and was planning on rebuilding, I had already bought a used silver gas tank and rear cowling in great condition for $150 (although i still need a grab rail..). Now I just need the rest.. I could probably sell the black plastics for some good money subsequent to the transition and get most of the money back anyways. Or if I can afford it, would be nice to have a full set of spare plastics handy..

Well,

For starters, if you want to save your silver 2002 tank, the 1997 and 1998 carb birds (not FI) are out of the question.

The 1999 and newer bikes have a bigger tank due to the addition of FI.

Speaking from experience, I have interchanged silver plastics on a black 1998 model, it can be done. But, you need to learn more about the interchagability characteristics, and the challenges they pose. For example, I have a 2002, silver nose cone on my bike, however my bike does not have ram air. If you want to know more, let me know. :lol:

if you need a grabrail, I have a silver one...

bought it from Joe for the cost of shipping, was going to do something with it and some LEDs but lost the motivation, I'd pass it along for the cost of shipping as well, just let me know... shoot me a PM

-John

Well,  

For starters, if you want to save your silver 2002 tank, the 1997 and 1998 carb birds (not FI) are out of the question.

The 1999 and newer bikes have a bigger tank due to the addition of FI.

Speaking from experience, I have interchanged silver plastics on a black 1998 model, it can be done.  But, you need to learn more about the interchagability characteristics, and the challenges they pose.  For example, I have a 2002, silver nose cone on my bike, however my bike does not have ram air.  If you want to know more, let me know. :lol:

--Thanks for the info. i would def like to know more.