CBR1100XX.org Forum

New rim?

shadowbird

OK, I just my 00 about 1 mo ago, and the tires were starting to cup. So, I bought some new ones (discountmotorcycletires.com), best deal I could find for the 45/46's.

Once at the dealer, pulling in the bike, I notice my rear rim has bent, like I caught an edge of a pothole. :twisted: After pricing a new one 590.63 :shock: I sought out the local salvage yards. Found one from a 97 for 300. Question is, any problems using the older rim, and is there anyway/anyplace I could find one cheaper? Thanks, riding season is just getting going, and now that I am done with all the weddings and family shit I am itching to ride. Or maybe that itch is from the weekend in Vegas with what were their names.... :cool:

Pete in PA is correct in saying that there are companies that can true-up rims for bikes. Sorry I don't have the names of these companies, but do check the back pages of popular motorcycle magazines.

FYI, I too noticed last week that I had put a small dent in the outer lip of my front rim on my 03 Bird. Some of the highways where I ride have these metal & glass reflectors imbedded in sections of the road and they serve as lane dividers, etc. Some of these reflectors, which are about 10 inches long and over an inch and a half high, are placed about a foot a part and stretch down the road for a quarter of a mile. Picture the scene: you're behind a huge tractor trailer, you pull out to pass, but you can't get back in your lane right away; suddenly those ugly metal & glass reflectors separate you from your proper lane; and with a huge bus & other traffic coming head-on toward you, you're left with no option but to cut across that stretch of ugly metal & glass reflectors! That's precisely what I did last week while traveling about 140kph. The Bird wiggled a little bit when I crossed over those reflectors, but otherwise it was rock solid. However, I must have clipped the edge of one of those reflectors with the outer lip of my front rim. Hence the small dent.

Took the bike to the dealers. They removed the front wheel, took the tire off and inspected it. No damage to the tire. They sent the rim out for truing & straightening. One hour later the rim came back in perfect condition. They put the tire back on the rim, balanced it, and re-installed it. Total cost: US$105.

FYI, I had to do the same thing to my BMW front rim a few years ago. Those BMW rims are made of soft aluminum.

Lesson learned: Stay the hell away from those fookin road reflectors!!