CBR1100XX.org Forum

Voltage Regulator Rectifiers - RR - R/R for Blackbird

partmonster

EDITED FOR ACCURACY - 11-23-04 - SUBJECT TO CHANGE ONCE HEARING BACK FROM ELECTREX USA.

CONFIRMED FITS 97 TO 98

AWAITING FURTHER INFO FROM ELECTREX ON OTHER YEARS

OEM NO COOLING FINS - Ricks Electrics - Part # 10-115 - $100 shipped anywhere in the USA. $118 for Canadians and item is marked as gift with $15 value to save you on customs and/or taxes.

blackbirdrr.jpg

AFTERMARKET WITH COOLING FINS - Electrex - Part # RR58 - $135 shipped anywhere in the USA. $143 for Canadians and item is marked as gift with $15 value to save you on customs and/or taxes.

RR58.jpg

BOTH UNITS ARE PLUG AND RIDE. NO CUTTING WIRES. BOLT IT UP PLUG IT IN AND GO. IT WILL TAKE LONGER TO REMOVE THE TAIL THEN TO HOOK UP THE NEW RR.

Email - Louie@partmonster.com

Phone - 240-925-5967

ADMINS PLEASE MAKE STICKY.

Louie

Louie, I have sent you email but haven't received your reply so I ask here again: how can the Ricks part # 10-115 fit all model years? I believe my 97 (and 98) have a different RR than 99-up. Do you have different Ricks RR for different model years?

Thanks for any info.

-Mike-

At one time I had three emails all from a Mike but they were three different people so you might have gotten lost in the sea of RR emails I have been getting lately. Sorry about that.

The book lists the RR for the 97-01 models on both the Electrex and the the Ricks.

Louie

At one time I had three emails all from a Mike but they were three different people so you might have gotten lost in the sea of RR emails I have been getting lately. Sorry about that.

The book lists the RR for the 97-01 models on both the Electrex and the the Ricks.

Louie

Thanks, Louie, for the info.

May be somebody with a 99 or later model can shed some light on their regulator. Looking at here:

- It looks like 97-98 uses one type and 99-00 and later use another type. Looking at the diagram

here for a 97-98, this is what I have:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/wir...rness_97-98.cfm

and...

Looking at the wiring diagram here for 99-00, the regulator is different. It has a round connector

hanging from the regulator:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/wir...rness_99-00.cfm

Are they really the same one but just look different? Honda has different part #.

Thanks again!

I believe the only difference between those two is the addition of the cooling fins. Both appear to plug and play on the same harness. The newer one with the cooling fins is probably the standard replacement for any bike with that harness.

But...there's no way the same model will work on an '01. Mine ('01) mounts on the other side of the bike, has a much longer set of wires, and a different connector (two of them, actually).

Like so-

36510475.jpg

36510455.jpg

The variable here is the aftermarket regulator/rectifier. There's no way it fits '97-'01, but you've already figured that out.

Louie, or Ricks/Electrex are going to be the only ones who can help you out, by letting you know exactly what you're going to get from them.

Sorry I couldn't solve it for you, but I have no idea what they're selling.

the 97-98 regulator does not have cooling fins(which is likely why they fail so frequently) heat kills electronics...theoretically if you make the wiring connections match you could probably use just about any one on the market...I used one from an old F2 for about a week while my yammie one was in transit

The variable here is the aftermarket regulator/rectifier. There's no way it fits '97-'01, but you've already figured that out.

Louie, or Ricks/Electrex are going to be the only ones who can help you out, by letting you know exactly what you're going to get from them.

Sorry I couldn't solve it for you, but I have no idea what they're selling.

What Louie said is that there is only 1 part number for the Ricks RR that is **supposed** to fit all model year from 97 to 2001 and that's why I was confused as I need one for my 97 and we know that 97-98 use a different one than 99-01. Electrexusa.com also listed a single part number for 97-01. What's going on?

Louie, could you take a look at the Ricks RR for 97-01 and see if it looks like the diagram of 97-98 or 99-00? (you can see the diagrams on the links I posted earlier). We think that either it fits a 97-98 or a 99-01 but not both (unless it comes with some kind of connector adaptor or whatever).

Thanks.

-Mike-

First off, this-

I believe the only difference between those two is the addition of the cooling fins. Both appear to plug and play on the same harness. The newer one with the cooling fins is probably the standard replacement for any bike with that harness.

Is wrong. Please disregard, my bad.

Moving on-

'97-'98 RR hooks up with a single 6 pin plug, with only five actual wires, is this correct?

The FI models have two plugs, 3 pin and 6 pin, with eight wires (same empty slot on the 6 pin).

Find out how many wires/plugs the Electrex or Ricks RR has, and you'll have your answer.

Best I can do from here.

From what I've read I'll never use anything from Electrex.

They say it fits all years, I bet it doesn't.

I've got a Yamaha R1 reg/rec that's still working great and if my stator goes I'll get it rewound.

I had my Sabre's stator rewound and it worked better than it ever had from new.

That's what Louie said but he never came back to confirm what does a Ricks RR look like (for 97-98 or 99-01). Louie (partmonster) are you still here?

Could you just take a quick look at your Ricks RR and tell us what it looks like (1 connector or 2 connectors)?

I'll post a picture of the Ricks unit tomorrow when mine arrives via UPS from Partmonster for my 97 XX

JB

JB, please do and I would appreciate it. My 97's RR seems still to be fine at 26k miles but I like to either replace it or buy 1 and keep it as a backup.

Thanks.

-Mike-

Here is the Ricks unit from Partmonster arrived today. I thought Louie said it had cooling fins which may give it a chance of lasting longer than the OEM. I got 20k out of my original, hope I get it out of this one too. Will post any updates after hooking it up and testing.

rr.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

Thanks for the comment. Now speaking of battery, my 97 still has its original battery but I think it's slowly losing its charge. My local autopart store has a battery for the XX that came with tubes of battery acid that we will have to fill it the first time and charge it before use. Can i use this one or is there any difference between this one and the original's "sealed" type? (I know that even the OEM sealed type uses acid)

Thanks.

I called Ricks to verify the cooling fins issue when you asked me about it. He confirmed that it has cooling fins. It seems I have been given a very bad misrepresentation of his product. I just got off the phone with him and explained as professionally as I could how upset I was. He apologized for the confusion and cited that he must have mistaken what I was asking. Yeah okay whatever.

The price is cheap but if the design is not improved then I see no gain in saving the money. It seems the Electrex is the way to go. I will be ordering an Electrex model and will take pictures to post here so we can all iron out if it truly fits the 97-01 as stated in the book and on their website.

I do have confidence in Ricks ability to build quality parts and you will most likely get years of use out of the RR. Time will tell on this issue. If it fails within one year I want to know about it.

Stay tuned for Electrex pictures. Sorry for not posting sooner but I was not getting the emails for "TOPIC REPLY". Glad I checked.

Louie.

MY EMAIL TO ELECTREX TONIGHT. SPOKE W/ DAREN. SENT HIM INFO TO HELP US NARROW DOWN WHY BOTH MY PARTS UNLIMITED BOOK AND HIS WEBSITE SITE 97-01.

Daren,

Here are the links to help you do some research to see if their truly is a difference between the 97-98 vs the 99-01.

It looks like 97-98 uses one type and 99-00 and later use another type. Looking at the diagram

here for a 97-98, this is what I have:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/wir...rness_97-98.cfm

and...

Looking at the wiring diagram here for 99-00, the regulator is different. It has a round connector

hanging from the regulator:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/wir...rness_99-00.cfm

The forum link which will give you some history and a picture of the OEM RR that I sold to one of the fellas on this post is also in this link to the forum post.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15328

The post will help you define why we are all confused and would love to iron this issue out for good.

Picture below is of the OEM RR advertised in my parts unlimited book from Ricks Electric as 97-01. It is completely different than the one on my 2002 in my garage as it has 2 connectors going to it. Your page in Parts Unlimited book says the same thing as well as the website. Thanks for all of your help ahead of time.

Thanks,

Louie and Paula

Part Monster

www.partmonster.com