CBR1100XX.org Forum

4 - 2 Full Exhaust

Goobr

Okay, go ahead and flame me,,, I really do have a NOMEX suit in my work van. :wink:

Ordered a PC3 last week and should be in here in the next few days. No hurry. One thing I've been thinking though,,, I really like the dual exhaust set-up and want to keep it that way. I know just adding slip-ons isn't really gonna do a whole lot to the let the "bird" breathe with the addition of the PC3 and B&C filter. I know a 4 - 1 will get better scavenging of the exhaust gases but I ain't gonna be racin' the damn thing. Bi-laterally symetrical,, hehehe,,, how ya like that big word?

Any of y'all know of an after-market 4 - 2 full system set-up?

Have any of y'all cut up the OEM head pipe to see if there are baffles and/or the like before it gets to the mufflers?

An inquiring minds wants to know. :cool:

The stock header doesn't have any baffles per se, there is a steel mesh wrapped around the inside of the collector though. It's there to suppress some of the sound and I'm sure does slow the exhaust flow a little bit.

The only real constriction is right before the collector opens up into the two pipes that go to the mufflers. I guess one could open that area by cutting the sides out and welding in a new, fatter section.

I will take a few pictures and post them later tonight.

Jeff

I've cut into a stock header and had pics posted awhile back. Unfortunately, they were hosted on photoisland.

To answer your questions........

I don't know of any aftermarket 4-2 systems. Many have asked, yet no one has come up with one.

...and yes, there are baffles in the stock header. They are located inside the flat areas in the first two collectors and again in the last collector where it splits apart.

If you want to see photos, just give me your email address and I'll send 'em your way.

Sorry, Jeff. I musta been typing at the same time.

I guess it depends on what you consider baffles....... you are right, they are just perforated steel with fiberglass packing around them......like found in a muffler.

With these "whatever you wanna call 'ems" in place, though, it does constrict the openings,.......especially in the first collector.

I've cut into a stock header and had pics posted awhile back. Unfortunately, they were hosted on photoisland.

To answer your questions........

I don't know of any aftermarket 4-2 systems. Many have asked, yet no one has come up with one.

...and yes, there are baffles in the stock header. They are located inside the flat areas in the first two collectors and again in the last collector where it splits apart.

If you want to see photos, just give me your email address and I'll send 'em your way.

Yeah, please. PM comin' to ya.

Jason,, pics came through in fine fashion on the board. Thanks dude! :lol:

That's gotta slow the exhaust down. I might be wishin' a "pipe dream" here (sorry for the bad pun, I thought it was funny but then I "do" gotta good buzz goin' on), but I wonder if one of the major manufacturers would be interested in building a 4 - 2 full exhaust for the XX.

I really want to retain the dual exhaust in a chrome/sst or Ti set up and would be willing to pay. It's just gotta be feasible for someone to build it.

Fast?......It took you an hour and 10 minutes......you stood there staring at the bike a lot longer than you thought. :grin:

Dig the exhaust, man. :cool:

So did you cut off the last split and make your own? If so, do you still have the part you cut off?

Staring at motorcycles does consume more of my time than I care to admit! :shock:

For the short system, I didn't cut off the last part. I actually drilled a bunch of holes and welded in a few baffles to create a little backpressure.

I do have another chuck of exhaust if you need one. You are looking for the piece after the collector correct?

http://imageevent.com/byrdman/motorcyclepi...l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

http://imageevent.com/byrdman/motorcyclepi...s=0&y=1&z=2&l=0

Nothing!

It's sitting in spare metal bin collecting dust.

PM me your address and it's on it's way.

I would normally charge you at least a hundo for shipping but I am so pissed at my company these days, the shipping is on them!

Merry X-Mas from the Japs..............