CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are Dan Kyle Fork Mods Worth It?

XXTi

To all you guys who have had Dan Kyle perform his majic on your 'Bird forks,

1) How does it change the bike's handling and ride characteristics?

2) Is it worth it? (about $440 I think)

3) Would you do it again?

4) What mods did they do on your forks? (springs, valves, polish, etc.)

I'm thinking about sending mine out this fall/winter and I would appreciate your comments.

The fork work I had done by Dan was a great improvement. However I am not sure if I would go that route again.

The only complaint I have is that I still have some bouncing headlight syndrome on some pieces of superslab. Carlos says he doesn't have this issue so I have some doubts about weather Dan has the perfect solution. I have no complaints with the front in the twisties, the bike handles much better, the braking is vastly improved. OTOH my truck gets a harmonic bouncy thing going on on the same strech of superslab so I am not sure if it is really a problem.

I also have not yet replace the rear shock and I am thinking that that is contributing to the bounciness on the freeway.

I think that replacing the fork springs will give you the most bang for your buck and is an easy job to do yourself. Total cost ~ $100.

Carlos can give you some better input on getting your valving redone a la the RaceTech upgrade.

Many guys have said it's a night and day improvement over the stock suspension.

Alphabird, Warchild, BDAZ XX, have all had their forks done by Dan, and swear by his work.

I put in Racetech 1.0 springs last year, and it was a vast improvement. This year I had the forks re-valved and setup by a suspension expert. I told him my complaints, and he re-worked them accordingly.

I also changed the shock from a 900RR unit with a 16.0kg spring, to an Ohlins with a 17kg spring.

Suspension is night and day. I like my suspension a bit stiff, so it does ride a little on the rough side, but is definitely more compliant than the factory setup was. Big bumps aren't nearly as harsh as they used to be, but the suspension feels stiffer overall.

Much less brake diving, and no more excessive squatting in the hard turns.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been debating between just replacing the springs and going the whole route with Dan Kyle.

I've improved the rear suspension (Penske) and really need to give the front end some help too.

How about some thought from you other guys?

At $400+ DK is a steal for fork work. He has reworked both RC's with outstanding results. My XX has racetech internals and bumped spring all done by a local Honda tech I've known for 25yrs. They work OK but DK works much better.

The RC's forks are very close to what an Ohlins front end feels like without the extra $1500+ spent. Ohlins or Penske on the rear will make a huge difference and along with the forks will change the way the XX rides, like day and night. I run a Penske on the XX and an Ohlins on the RC. Both are head and tails above teh stock suspension.

At $400+ DK is a steal for fork work. He has reworked both RC's with outstanding results. My XX has racetech internals and bumped spring all done by a local Honda tech I've known for 25yrs. They work OK but DK works much better.

The RC's forks are very close to what an Ohlins front end feels like without the extra $1500+ spent. Ohlins or Penske on the rear will make a huge difference and along with the forks will change the way the XX rides, like day and night. I run a Penske on the XX and an Ohlins on the RC. Both are head and tails above teh stock suspension.

Ditto--

4) He changes Springs--most use 1.1kgs, polishes the tubes to reduce friction, changes valving---bike handles incredibly better, I was having some pretty serious "chatter" issues with the stockers under heavy braking. I did the Ohlins on the rear because I like the Hydrualic preload---Best to get the proper spring for the rear too--NOt always the easiest thing to get--I think most run a 19kg w/the XX--Im running a 13kg--but my rear linkage is way differet

The best advice I could give anyone would be to have a pro with experience on YOUR bike do it $430 is cheap to have the piece of mind of a job done properly.

If it makes you feel any better, I threw $800 at the 1000RR's stockers in vain---only to spend another $2,200 on Ohlins which actually fixed all of the bikes woes--but thats a whole nuther story as if the Ohlins were available in the first place--I would have gone straight to those and never looked back---fuckin racebikes :cry: :cry:

Sounds like the DK mods are the way to go. I talked to him the other day. It seems that they polish the valve bodies and rework the shim stacks instead of replacing the valves. They polish the tubes and re-use the stock seals if they're not leaking. I didn't get in to specifics about my weight, riding style, etc., but I'll bet the 1.1kg springs would work for me.

Thanks again for the input guys!

After first trying just .95 front springs and a 900RR rear shock, I had my forks done by Lindemann. Their philosophy is very similar to what Dan Kyle does. They modify the stock pistons to flow similar to an Ohlins, then spend a lot of time on reducing stiction. I am running 1.0 springs in the front. I combined the front end work with a Penske shock and an 1100 lb. spring. The rear springs are much stiffer than stock, but still ride better. A lot of the squat in the rear has been eliminated. I did not need to lenghen the shock in order to get quicker handling. Sag numbers front and rear (both with and without a rider) are right where they should be.

I would definately do this mod again.

Honda likes to use extremely soft springs, and then jack up the compression damping. I find that after the mods, my bike has a firm ride, but soaks up the bumps much better than stock.

any aftermarket solution will be better than the stock stuff.

Dan offers great work for other bikes IMO. I used him with my R1 and it was pretty dam awesome. I never once messed with a setting once I put them back on.

My thinking is there is no adjustment on the 'bird so most of us should be able to stick new internals in and be ready to go. The complications reside in dialing in a suspension, which we can't do.

I would tell people to try it themselves.