CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire puncture repair questions.

hillbillyxx

All well and good... Unless you happen to be here and wanna walk for days just to find some semblane of civilization...

Desolation.JPG

In places like that I've used the little mushroom plugs and the sticky/gooey string stuff with success. I've had one plug not completely seal the tire and it only resulted in a slow leak that allowed my to limp into a town to get a new tire.

BTW that "dot" is the only car I saw for close to 50 miles.

If I were in the middle of nowhere I'd definately use one to get back to civilazation. Keeping it in and running it long term is what I'd stay away from. A plug actually deforms the belts slightly in the area that it's in and causes a hot spot in the tire. On a car I'd run a plug but on a bike where one tire is 50% of your contact with the road is where I have a concern with the safety issues.

If I were in the middle of nowhere I'd definately use one to get back to civilazation. Keeping it in and running it long term is what I'd stay away from. A plug actually deforms the belts slightly in the area that it's in and causes a hot spot in the tire. On a car I'd run a plug but on a bike where one tire is 50% of your contact with the road is where I have a concern with the safety issues.

I might just limp around this winter with the tire and replace it in the spring. We don't get many chances to ride once the white shit flies.

It's been years since I had a flat tire on anything then this year it's four plugs in the Mustang and one for the Bird. This sucks.

To plug or not to plug,it is very personal,like religion or syntetic/car oil issue.

I`ve had success with " string" plugs from auto parts store,last rear Pilot Road was plugged right in the middle of the tread,held fine till the last mile on the tire ( 9000).

I`ve found BMW plugs to be pain in the ass,not as easy to insert as strings and they tend to leak.

As far as the damage to cords,lets get real, how big is the damaged area, 0.0001 of 1% of entire tire surface,and that suppose to cause catastropfic failure at speed,or overheat? I think not,Z rated tires are design to survive 180+ with safety margin built in.

As far as the damage to cords,lets get real, how big is the damaged area, 0.0001 of 1% of entire tire surface,and that suppose to cause catastropfic failure at speed,or overheat? I think not,Z rated tires are design to survive 180+ with safety margin built in.

You can take your own chances, I refuse to take mine when it comes to shit like that.

Did you know that cars doing high speed testing have their tires X-rayed prior to testing?

Any minor glitch and they don't use them.

If it was for commuting, I'd consider running a plugged tire. If I plan on doing high speed runs, I'm not using it, period.

You do what you like.

If I were in the middle of nowhere I'd definately use one to get back to civilazation. Keeping it in and running it long term is what I'd stay away from.

Me too.

When I bought my bike it had a plug in the rear tire (tire was almost done anyway) it held fine, but I always had that thing pictured in my mind when I was on the freeway. :???:

A while later (new tire), I developed a slow leak while on a trip with my wife...it stranded us in the middle of the night...silly me, I didn't have a plug kit onboard.

Now I do, but haven't had to use it once in 6 years...which is good, I guess.

Well I would not use plugged tire at the race track,but in the real world of speed limits ,cops,,, are you trying to tell me you can sustain 180 for couple of hours,or 30 seconds, maybe ?

Road tires ( not Dunlop or Bridgstone race tires ) have big safety margin build in and idea that 2 mm hole is gonna hurt tire is in IMHO ,,,,,,,,,

in the real world of speed limits ,cops,,, are you trying to tell me you can sustain 180 for couple of hours,or 30 seconds, maybe ?

Yes, I have. At least a half dozen times in the last 2 months, alone.

If I had a plugged tire on, I probably wouldn't exceed 100, and even that in short bursts. My life isn't worth a $120 tire.

My life isn't worth a $120 tire.

Definately.

Why run the risk of a minor inconveience like getting a flat again or maybe a little worse- a serious accident cause of a plug. Not worth my life or the life of my wife or son cause of a plug.

It's not the small size of the hole that matters. It's the plug that's rammed into the hole that didn't used to have anything in there. As light as high performance tires are becoming, and for your information the higher the speed rating the less the tread depth is and carcas thickness is reduced as well, anything out of the ordinary would wreak havok on the inner structure of the tire. The inner plys are bonded together and when you spread them appart and make more heat in one spot, the possibility of failure in that spot increases greatly. Not worth the risk to me. I don't like to run plugs in a car tire, use a patch if you can.

Every tire I have on the BB has had a plug put in them. This new bike, I had it only 2 weeks drove over a staple somewhere.

I go to the same local garage (they don't remove tire) and they put the plug in for me......have never had a problem yet. So....I have had absolutely no problem with plugs.

Every tire I have on the BB has had a plug put in them. This new bike, I had it only 2 weeks drove over a staple somewhere.

I go to the same local garage (they don't remove tire) and they put the plug in for me......have never had a problem yet. So....I have had absolutely no problem with plugs.

On my way back from my road trip, got a nail in it 5 mins before I was supose to get picked up by a freind, so it wasn't a big deal, threw a string type push in plug it in to get around town and spit it out with in a week. Got a internal plug put it in and it seems to be holding but I don't go over 100Km/h with it, just don't trust it... (was end of season for me just ridding around town)