CBR1100XX.org Forum

NOS Questions

Justin

I was considering NOS install on my bird just for shits and giggles .. but I have a few questions.. I'd like a little more HP on demand without adding the stress of turbo on the engine all the time .. also, using turbos on carbed bikes is a pain in the a-hole IMO .. plus its alot more painfull on the wallet.

How bad is it for the engine? I was thinking like a 50 shot..

Is there an XX kit available somewhere, is it a bitch to install and tune?

Is it dangerous to carry that stuff on a bike?

For those that have used it.. does the power hit all at once, or does it feel fairly smooth?

What was the cost for the unit?

Thanks

There are a lot of different setups available, but one of the nicest I've seen was a guy from the UK that had two "Sneaky Pete" bottles under the seat, plumbed to a manifold, then the solenoids.

Systems are a ton cheaper than a turbo would be (+/-$500), depending on your setup.

Nitrous has a tendency to hit rather hard, or instant. If it's been a while since it was used, it'll hit softer till the lines re-fill, but if it's used regularly, expect to throttle down a bit in the lower gears when it hits.

50hp is quite a bit for a bike. 25 is substantial, but you can always change the jets.

I don't know of a "XX" kit available, but you can get 4 cylinder universal bike kits without a problem.

It's only hard on the engine if your mixtures aren't right, or you're on it for very long periods.

Basically, if an engine is tuned properly (fuel, spark, etc.) for nitrous, there shouldn't be a problem.

150 shot, go for the gusto!

Actually, Northman has hit it on the head, as is expected, since he and I are the only nitrous guys on the board. I run a direct port 70 shot on my bike, but use it rarely. Trust me, when it hits, you know it. Let's just say 3rd gear "button wheelies" are rather easy. 4th gear would be too, but I don't plan on trying it anytime soon.

The only downside to having nitrous on your bike is that nobody will want to mess with you. I've had my bottle on my bike for probably 3 years or better, and I've only had one guy ever call me out. Unfortunately for him, he has a car, NA at that, and it runs like 6.80's in the eigth when it runs, so he got his ass whooped on MOTOR. I coulda wheelied the whole track and beat him on the bottle, but that would have just been overkill :lol:

150 shot, go for the gusto!

lol .. go for the gusto ...... ONCE

Actually I will have access to my friends garage soon when I move to CO, he has all .. so I may just go with a turbo :) .. I can get grab a small turbo like a t38 or something off of ebay, make my own 4>1 collector pipe and after a bit of tinkering it'll be good to go ... just take a shatload of tweaking to get everything right lol ...

blackhawkxx, mine is mostly a scare tactic. I have used it at the track, and usually in second gear. You see, in "drag race mode", you sit differently than you do normal riding. When I race, I am leaned all up on the tank, so I can hit it in second and control it. It still wheelies, so I may have to tap the button a couple of times to ease the shock, but you can still ride it out. Third is no problem.

On the street, I sit up and further back on the seat. So third gear hitting the button means "wheelie-time!". It's all about how you position your weight. And since I weigh around 240, leaning forward makes a hella difference.

so. hmmm?

Does anyone know what price range these systems are in? Do people sell used ones or would that not be reccomended? I found some for sale in Britain but I imagine if I found some on this side of the pond they would be cheaper. Does anyone know of a site that offers Nitrous Q&A's? I have alot of them :razz: