CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need a longer lasting tire...

Justin

After just destroying a Continental conti-force Max in less than 3k, and previous pure sport tires in 4k to 4.5k , i think its time to try a "sport-touring" tire. Anyone here use liek Michelin Pilot Roads or Avon azaros? I heardpirellis last long and have good grip too.My concern is I ride hard .. I need a tire that sticks good, and lasts long .. any ideas? Or should I just suck it up and stick with pure sport tires?

Check the archives...this subject has been beaten to death along with

which oil, sprak plugs, seats, windshield, chroming, power chips, pipes, etc..

PS: I am on my 3rd set of Avons and LOVE them! Getting about 7K out of each set, some hard canyon, some slab riding

Check the archives...this subject has been beaten to death along with  

which oil, sprak plugs, seats, windshield, chroming, power chips, pipes, etc..

PS: I am on my 3rd set of Avons and LOVE them! Getting about 7K out of each set, some hard canyon, some slab riding

I'm sure its been covered here before ... but lets face it I am lazy .. and I am sure there is someone here that is bored and needs soemthing to talk about :oops: anyway .. i was considering the avons, whats your take on them in the wet?

I had a set of michelin pilot roads installed at 14.4k and now have 19.300, and have tons of life left in them. I had them installed three days after buying the blackbird so I really can't compare them to anything else. They have been on a 1200 mile 3 day trip through the Gap and the Skyway and felt realy good on those roads. I consider myself more the sport-touring rider versus the hard core road racer type. Thats my .02

Roads solid S-T tire w very good grip/feedback, absolutely no front cupping and B+/A- mileage, wet performance B-. Have M1s on new XX, front doing good, rear vanished in thin air in 3K on ez commuting, great stick though. Going back to Roads, have some extras laying around (Jeff, that brand new Road rear in yer garage is mine just in case u r getting idears :wink: !).

Mezteler Z6 rear, M1 front, get about 7k out of both, change them at the same time.

I like the handling of the rear Z6 better than the Avon AV36, and get more milage out of it. Haven't tried the newer Avons, I'm happy with the Metzelers for now.

I looked at my tire at the AXXT meet and saw I was at the wear bar on the rear Pilot Road ( front still looks good) ... I started thinking Damn that thing wore out quick... I found the reciept yesterday from when I had them put on the milage was 8600 , I just turned 20,700 miles today .

12,000 Miles

I'd say that is pretty good considering I aint no light weight and have riden everything from the twisties with the liter bike guys to a 1500 mile slab drive to S.Carolina and back with 2 NEXXT's thrown in to boot.

I say all that to say I am gonna replace my Pilot Roads

with Pilot Roads :grin:

:cool:

If you're killing Conti's in 3k miles, then you do entirely too many burnouts.  I get like 10k out of mine with 38 PSI and mostly straight up riding.

no burn outs .. I ride the mofo hard .. plus I think some of the roads I was on this weekend trashed em with the crappy chipseal.

I think I have decided o nthe pilot roads for my next tire .. I like the fact that rather making them harder they opted to just mix hard and soft together .. seems alot more advanced than just using a harder compound. Plus on big bikes like an xx they should warm up and stick fair enough.. plus i need to slow down anyway... :oops: