CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 XX running cold...Thermastat??

JB4XX

I realize it is cooler outside as I just froze my ass off riding home from work at 40 degrees. The temp gauage on my 97 xx just barely moved at all. Even during the summer heat, it would get to half way on the guage only when stuck in traffic and as soon as I got in open moving air it would drop to maybe 1/4 way up. Is this normal or do you think I may have a thermostat that may be opening prematurely or stuck open? I plan on riding my bike until they are calling for sub freezing night temps but dont want to abuse the bird by running her cold...I did hit 5mph over on the way home tonight....(if the speed limit was 120mph) :roll:

I look forward to my 42 mile ride home from work if I am on the bird...it only takes between 32-36 minutes, with a tightly enforced 5 mile 30mph zone!! I also am looking for pants with some sort of zip out liner...Looking at FirstGear...any opinions out there??? :?:

I look forward to my 42 mile ride home from work if I am on the bird...it only takes between 32-36 minutes, with a tightly enforced 5 mile 30mph zone!!  I also am looking for pants with some sort of zip out liner...Looking at FirstGear...any opinions out there???  :?:

I have:

Firstgear Magnum jacket

Firstgear HT overpants

Sidi Strada boots

Balaclava

Long gauntlet leather gloves with no lining, and grip heaters

I have no issues getting down to the mid 30s on my 30-40 minute ride at 60-90mph speeds. Much colder, I take the car. Hands and head get coldest first, followed by shoulders and crotch. It's not warm, mind you, but it's no problem. Pants and jacket have a zip out liner.

My XX doesn't move much off the C at those temps, even in the low 50s, if you're moving. I was told it's no big deal.

J.

I would say it's normal my 98 doesn't get much above the bottom of the gauge when moving summer or winter, when in traffic it goes about half way or just a little over then the fan kicks in, temps drop back when i get some air through the rad pretty qucikly.

Iain

Sounds normal. I rode my 97 home from a trip up to northern N Y this weekend and the gauge barely got off the C but it was 35 degrees on the thermometer at my house when I got home. I had planned on riding during the day but got held up and ended up traveling at night, it was a really cold ride.