CBR1100XX.org Forum

ENGINE VIBRATION

TFT

After reading Madrazcbr's post on engine vibration, I thought I would mention that my 97XX seems to pick up a minor vibration starting at about 4500-5000rpm and continues to 7000-8000rpm. Maybe I should refer to it as more of a buzzing in the bars and foot pegs. Is this normal? I stopped by the Honda dealership on Saturday and asked them but they said they were not familiar enough with the XX to say one way or another. There only comment was that the XX was pretty much bullet proof and they had never heard of a problem with the engine.

I have noticed this more since I installed the ThrottleMeister, could this have an influence on the vibration?

The Throttlemeister influence being the change in bar weight.

My '97 does that a little too. I think it may be the twin counterbalancers. I believe that they can be adjusted too.

The Bird runs so smooth though, I don't want to fuck with it.

My '97 does that a little too. I think it may be the twin counterbalancers. I believe that they can be adjusted too.

You can adjust the counterbalancers?

To correct your (perceived) vibration the easiest thing to do is to ride a different bike for a while. Then when you get back on the XX you will realize that you have just become spoiled.

I rode a K1200RS the other day and was shocked at how much more it vibrated than my XX. It really seemed like a POS compared to the XX.

To correct your (perceived) vibration the easiest thing to do is to ride a different bike for a while. Then when you get back on the XX you will realize that you have just become spoiled.

Exactly.

My bike before the XX was an 1100 Katana. Now that thing had vibration.

I don't think that you'll find a bike that runs as smooth as an Accord, but the XX is the probably one of the closest.

And, yeah, I get minor buzzing in the pegs/handlebars at certain speeds, but it's very minor.

I also adjusted the counter balancers, and it didn't make any noticeable difference. It's an easy enough job, but I doubt it's worth it.

I love my CBR 1000F, but after riding the 'Bird for any

amount of time you quickly see how much more it

vibrates.. Face it, the 'Bird is just super smooth..

:cool: TJ :cool:

My bike before the XX was an 1100 Katana.

No shit? Me too. I miss that electric windscreen.

Ha! Yeah, no kidding.

I always got a look when I would play around with it at stop lights :)

The XX was a huge upgrade in smoothness and a pretty nice upgrade in power (that bike was fucking fast too though), but I was disappointed to lose the adjustable suspension and the adjustable windscreen. That reach-down-and-twist preload adjuster was something I really loved for passenger adjustments.

And believe it or not, that bike was as reliable as this one. No real issues in 130k miles, still running fine though low on compression. A little different from today's Suzuki "quality."

I agree 1000%

I'll never say anything bad about the big Katana. It served as a great long distance sport-tourer for me.

And yeah, that thing was bullet-proof, fast, stable, easy to maintain, and I was a big fan on the pretty sophistimicated suspension, too; especially when loaded up on a week+ long trip.

And I still think it's one of the nicer looking bikes out there.