CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes squeeling / squeeking about changing pads

Blaine

Anyone had this problem and how's you fix it? :cry:

Installed them with the shims on Friday. My outside left front OEM pad was down to the metal on the front edge, after only 9+K miles. But the roators are in great shape. Rode around the neighborhood and did a slow break in and no noise. :grin:

Saturday I rode to Biketoberfest and back and no noise all day long. Put on about 150 miles that day. :cycle:

Sunday morning going to work and WTF :bigshock: squeeky brakes on my Bird? Also I swear it sounds like they are scuffing along the disk as I ride. :headscratch:

Is it ok to use the anti-squeel stuff you use on auto brake pads? OR is there other stuff to fix this on bikes? :loony:

Reading post http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...ight=brake+pads and i'll check the pads and shims when i get home.

I may swap them out with the OME shims. If that doesn't work, I'll put some of that anti-squeel sutff from Auto Zone and see if that helps.

Cool, thanks, I'll try that tonight and see if it helps.

What kind of pads did you install?

My EBC HH's were noisy for quite some time (300 miles or more), before they finally seated enough to be relatively quiet (sounded like they were dragging).

Try the brake clean trick, and if that doesn't work, try a few successive hard stops from high speeds. If the pads are glazed, that will help to break the glaze, allowing the pads & rotors to bed properly.

What kind of pads did you install?

My EBC HH's were noisy for quite some time (300 miles or more), before they finally seated enough to be relatively quiet (sounded like they were dragging).

Try the brake clean trick, and if that doesn't work, try a few successive hard stops from high speeds. If the pads are glazed, that will help to break the glaze, allowing the pads & rotors to bed properly.

Yes they are EBC HH's, I didn't get to clean them last night and it rained here today. I'll try cleaning them tonight as I'm going over to Biketoberfest tomorrow, for the day, and don't want to hear that noise all day. May also try the high speed stops.

I can see it now, honest officer, I was going fast so I could slow down really fast and seat my new brake pads.! ha ha ha, yea right.

That will be my new speeding excuse