CBR1100XX.org Forum

Change Spark Plugs wires, dissaster...

Rales

Well I got new plugs today and since the bird is apart from the wreck, I thought I would change the plugs. Almost 10k on original plugs, so it was time. Well all went well untill I went to remove the Plug caps/boots. The first one came off extreamly hard with lots of tugging etc, I dont have the proper cap/boot graber tool. Well the first one is done. The second one I could not get off at all. So in frustration I got some pliers and a rag to try not to rip the boot. Well the boot got a little ripped and the plasic inside of the boot cracked. The plug caps/boot pulled right off the wire. Now I looked and the wire is directly connected to the coil. Do I have to replace the coil, or does Honda/aftermarket offer just the boot, that it looks like it will screw onto the wire? I'm used to working on cards where the plug wire boots are metal internal, I guess i need to be more gental.

Thanks

The parts fiche has the coil/wire/cap listed as three seperate parts. I can't seem to read the part number right or www.ronayers.com just isn't recognizing it. The cap assembly part # is 30700-MBG-000, or it may be M8G, or M86........

I've had mine off several times with no issues, so this leaves me wondering why yours were so difficult :???:

I usually give them a bit of a twist as I'm pulling upwards, to help break the seal. Might want to try that next time, or use a dab of dielectric grease to keep them from sticking.

The ignition wires are held to the coil with compression fittings. Just unscrew the plastic caps, and the wires come right off. The boots come off by screwing counter-clockwise, and clockwise to install.

Cool, I checked out ron ayers site and there only 20 dollars a peice. I tried twisty and wiggling, they were broken free but would not pull up. I got the number 1 cyl and the number 4 off fine but 2 and 3 i screwed up, which you think would be the easy ones. I will order the peices and get it fixed. Thanks guys.

I have changed a million car spark plugs but I also had the hardest time getting the boots off of the plugs the first time. I think most of the reason is because the the cross bar is right in the way. Can't get your hand down where it needs to be. I ended up wrapping a piece of string under the boot and pulling upward.

I ripped some of the rubber on one of mine. And yes, I think it's becuase of that cross bar. Getting those mother-fucking-cocksucking-goddamn mother fuckers off still upsets me.

My boot only had a little tear in it so I wrapped it with electricians tape. So far so good. But I do have a new boot in the tool box for when things do to shit.