CBR1100XX.org Forum

Factory Pro goodies

bajjer9

Just ordered factory pro jet kit and 4 degree ignition advancer...

on a scale of 1-10 10 being a major engine rebuild how dificult is it to install these? Can it be done in a day? Should I wait to get an air filter before I install or will stock filter work?

Jet kit:

Pull the tank, pull the airbox, pull the carbs. It's not too bad, just pay attention when reinstalling.

I hear tell that you can do it with the carbs installed, but it seems that would be a PITA compared to just removing the carbs and being done with it.

Tuning it will be another matter.

You should be able to use your existing filter, I am using a stock filter.

Advancer:

Should be a straightforward deal, you will need to remove the right side lower plastic, clean off the engine case on that side, remove the engine pulser case cover, replace the pulser trigger wheel (advancer) and reassemble. I'd make sure to torque the bolt on the crankshaft, if you go too tight and pull threads, that's an expensive part (crankshaft). If you don't get a new gasket with the advancer, I'd recommend getting one from Honda.

J.

Let us know if you can tell the difference with the advancer if you do it only.  If you jet it and the advancer at the same time, you will never know which one is giving you the power.

yea, my plans are to do one then ride to evaluate, then proceed to do the other just so i can say how much of a difference each mod makes,,,the slip ons made a significant amount judging from my seat-o-my-pants dyno

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't sorted my jetting out just yet, I need to do some work on it.

My mains are 152s. (big edit, I've got 145s installed :oops: )

Needles at third clip.

Stock pilots.

Stock screw settings.

I am rich in the midrange (need to drop needles), super rich down low. The top end seems fine, but until I get a wideband or go to a dyno, I'm not for sure if my mains are correct.

I have an Akrapović full system, stock Honda everything else.

J.

Changed some things tonight.

Pulled the carbs to drop the needles, which, as it turns out, were at the second clip, not the third. My memory is shit, obviously.

Anyway, I was sure it was the third. Since second is recommended as a starting point by Factory Pro, and I'm trying to get it rideable before I go to the dyno or buy a wideband, I decided to leave them at the second position. I don't feel that the power is lacking from 5-7k.

I installed my 45 pilot jets, which I highly recommend. I have good power at 3-5k, actually, good power from idle to 5k. No popping on decel (was getting massive popping on decel) and it's just overall better. I have yet to set the pilot screws, it's not happy on low load low speed cruise.

Motor was cold for the run, never got fully to the normal range on the meter. It's nicer tomorrow, I'll see what I get then.

FWIW, I'm no carburetion expert, I'm learning as I go. Hopefully the pilot screw set procedure will get the low load and idle set up properly. Also, sorry to jack your thread with my observations, if they're not wanted.

J.

When are you gonna dyno it, Jeremy?

With fuel mapping, you'll want to adjust as close as you can for "seat of the pants", before going to the dyno, unless you have a full day to play with jets and needle settings, etc.

What kind of dyno are you using? You may only be able to map full throttle, so all of the part throttle stuff you'll have to adjust by feel, anyway.

Keep an eye on the plugs, and the pipe, for excessive carbon, or signs of running lean (plugs).

When are you gonna dyno it, Jeremy?

With fuel mapping, you'll want to adjust as close as you can for "seat of the pants", before going to the dyno, unless you have a full day to play with jets and needle settings, etc.

What kind of dyno are you using? You may only be able to map full throttle, so all of the part throttle stuff you'll have to adjust by feel, anyway.

Keep an eye on the plugs, and the pipe, for excessive carbon, or signs of running lean (plugs).

Trying to find a dyno close...

Closest Eddy current is 2hrs away.

Closest Dynojet(s) are in town.

One Dynojet is a portable, and I've yet to talk to him. The other is at Wichita H-D. I have yet to see if they'll let a rice bike in the shop.

There is definitely excessive carbon in the pipe, but it's been hard to throttle it up. My license can't take much more right now. I have been attempting to go out in the boonies and do some pulls to see how things are doing.

I need to dyno. Now that it feels better with the new pilots, I'll have less excuses.

J.

Might be worth the ride for the Eddy Current version. At least you know it's up to date, and accurate.

The portable won't have a sniffer, more than likely.

The H-D shop will be worried about you breaking theirs :lol: