CBR1100XX.org Forum

drag bike question

matey_peeps

guy i know wants me to build him a dragbike this winter. the type of bike, while still TBA, will likely rhyme with eye-abuser. i've expressly told him NO turbo, but i'm not opposed to nitrous. my question is, what can i do to make it a better performing dragbike, chassis wise. i'm thinking an extended swinger (wheelie bars are out of the question), and lowering the front.

i've built and tuned lots of bikes in the past, and i know how to make a POS go fast, it's just that i don't give a fuck about drag racing and therefore have little experience or knowledge of the tricks of the trade.

your thoughts?

There are an abundance of mods you can do to a busa.

What class does he plan to run it in?

You can stretch the swingarm (depending on class) and lower the front. Depending on what sanctioning body he wants to run in, AMA, NHRA, IHRA will all dictate the mods they will allow. Some organizations won't let you run straps on the front. You'll have to get the forks internally lowered in this case. They offer tripple clamps with holes in them for the busa that allow you to slide the forks up in the upper tripple (stock you can't do this as they are covered up)

There are adjustable suspension linkage that adjust the suspension ratio for the rear allowing you to tune the weight transfer. I believe they are calling it a "pro link" and is supposed to be able to get your 60' times down a bit further. It's all over Psychobike right now and Schnitz sells them.

Of course they have adjustable or fixed lowering dogbones for them.

A regear is a must as they are geared really high.

Go over to http://psychobike.com and check out their forum. Most guys over there run Kawasakis and Suzukis of all types. You can look around and find out a lot of stuff on there.

http://www.schnitzracing.com is a good place to buy top notch dragracing parts.

The sky is the limit on these, or maybe your friend's wallet.

Progressive nitrous controllers help

Yoshimura EMS or Bazzaz offers fully programable ECU's for em that will control different maps and control ignition retard for nitrous. They will even progressively add nitrous on a time base as the chassis can handle it.

it's just that i don't give a fuck about drag racing and therefore have little experience or knowledge of the tricks of the trade.

If you build this thing and start going with him to the track to tune it, I think you will really start to get into drag racing. There is nothing like it.

I'd check on the rules for the local track. If there is no penalty for running bars, then bars are the way to go. They get the power to the ground more efficiently than extended swingarms. I have a set of bars for my bike, and can go from streetbike to dragbike in 1 hour, and that includes changing out the rear wheel and removing the shock and installing the strut for the bars. Plus, I stay stock length so my street riding is not affected by having a 22 foot swingarm hanging out the back :lol:

Don't run bars, they're just "training wheels". Most people around here will laugh at you if you can't turn low 5's in the 1/8th with a slick and wheelie bars. He can run in a good class and get plenty of races if he wants to stretch it out 10" and run a "street legal" tire. You can stretch it on out to 75" and make a good outlaw bike, but the street tire class at 68" is where the action is at right now. You need to talk to him and get him to decide which class he wants to run before you do anything to a bike because the specs. are different for the classes.

Once you go to the track and help him tune it in, you'll be hooked just like blackhawk said. Very addictive and you'll probably get yours out there and run it. Nothing like it.

It is a cool feeling, as long as you don't break your first set like I did. I guess bird power + 70 shot was a little too much for them.

I LOVE the training wheels statement. Let me go tell Angelle Savoie, Matt Hines, John Force, Kenny Bernstein, and Big Daddy Don Garlits you said that :roll:

:poke: Tell em all you want. It's easier to ride a bike with bars and a slick on it. Twist and go. Take that same power and put it to the ground with a 6" wide street tire and no bars and see what it'll do. While you're at it, go tell Barry Henson, Kent Stotz, Mike Slowe, and Ricky Gadson to run bars and see what they say. :wink:

Just messin with ya Furbird. It's all about what you like. If you like the wheelie bars, run with it. It's all about havin fun and doin your thing. In reality, I wouldn't mind runnin a bike with a set once just to see what it's like. I have to ease it out of the hole or it shoots for the sky even with it slammed.

Wish more people on here were into drag racing. It's a lot of fun and the smack talk at the track is funnier than hell sometimes.

I wish I could find a race that was "stock suspension". What I mean by that is stock wheelbase, stock shocks and forks, no straps. Run 'em like you buy 'em at the dealer. I believe birds could rule that class, because every time I have run up on a stock suspension Busa, his next stop is on the trailer :twisted:

My track used to have a streetbike class. It was bracket, run what your brung, but no bars and a street tire required (no drag radials allowed). I had my old KZ1000 full on drag bike out there with a Cheng Shin rear tire (talk about funny looking) and ruled ass in that class. Other guys started bolting up street tires on their drag bikes too, but they couldn't dial in correctly. 5 weeks in a row, it was me and a guy on a ZX11 bone stock in the final. He hated me, cause 5 weeks in a row I busted his ass :lol: Unfortunately, I won so much they combined all bikes together.

Wish more people on here were into drag racing.

Ask and you shall receive! I've been around drag racing for about 15 years now. First seven I was my father's pit crew on his Pro-mod Harley. The last eight I've been racing street and drag bikes and crew for my uncle's top fuel Harley( my new ride for next season) Couple of track championships, and still the king of the 60'. I don't like slicks and wheelie bars either. All they are are chains that hold the monster back. Without them, all that is holding the monster back is ME! :twisted: The monster I'm building now, a Busa. Had Puppet build me an eight over arm. Braced all to hell, looks like off the back of Elmer Tretts bike, but the suspension still is there. Going to need it with 400 - 500 ponnies trying to bend the bike into a taco shell. Elixxer, see ya at Byron next season. I'll be looking for you. :twisted:

That's a hell of a bike you're building there J. I know you've been on Psychobike, what do you think of the new Pro Link they've got for the busa's now. You know, the suspension link that you can adjust your shock rate with. Frank Adams says it'll improve your 60' times by as much as .3 on a stretched bike. Thought about getting out the design program at work and might try fabbing one up for the bird. They don't look that complicated and every little bit helps.

Do I understand right?  You are going to race a top fuel harley and a busa?

We only run the fuel bike 3 - 4 times a year. We don't like to travel very far. The farthest we go is Bowling Green. 10 hrs away. I'm just trying to build my resume up, I want to ride for a living. And if you had the chance to ride a fuel bike, wouldn't you?

I know you've been on Psychobike, what do you think of the new Pro Link they've got for the busa's now. You know, the suspension link that you can adjust your shock rate with. Frank Adams says it'll improve your 60' times by as much as .3 on a stretched bike.

I haven't looked into it. I was going to get my shock revalved and resprung.