CBR1100XX.org Forum

Headlight Problem... please help!

BigD

I was riding the other night (2000 blackbird) and my high beam turned on by itslef. I couldn't turn it off with the hi/lo switch. The switch still made the high beam indicator on the dash turn off and on but did not turn off the high beam. The next night the lights flickered and both the high and low beam turn off. The switch still turned the high beam indicator on and off. I checked the fuse, bulbs and switch with no luck. Please Help! Soon! I miss flying at night with my bird. D

Perhaps what you need is an exorcist? Just kidding. Most likely, it's just corrosion in your switches? I need to take mine apart and clean them out. Then apply dielectric grease to them to keep them from corroding again. My highbeam doesn't always want to come on right away. There almost always is a one to five second delay until it comes on. I've just been so unmotivated to do the job.

Thanks for the input guys. Is there any way to check the relay or should i just replace it? I am assuming the switch is okay if it still turns the highbeam indicator on and off. Is the a wrong assumption? Thanks, D

Measure the “trigger” voltage of the relay - I’m not quite sure, but I think it is a blue wire.

Measure the 12V+ voltage switched by the relay.

You can remove the relay from the connector - then you can test the relay easily itself.