CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brick Saw?

severdog

I am in the middle of a pretty extensive patio project where I'm grading my backyard and adding about 650 sq. ft. of concrete pavers.

I've found by trial and error that scoring and breaking the pavers with a chisel isn't a very good way to do this.

What tool would you recommend that I purchase or rent to finish this job?

Or should I just buy a diamond saw and slap it on my radial arm saw?

thanks.....

Or should I just buy a diamond saw and slap it on my radial arm saw?  

The blade would probably cost more that renting a gas powered cutter for the day.

I'd go the the local rental place with a chunk of what you're cutting and get the proper equipment.

Tim-

I called the local NationsRent and they recommended a gas powered brick saw with a wet sump, however it's $64/day. This project will probably drag on for another month or two, so that won't work. I've asked them to price a used unit for me.

Thanks for the answer....

You might be able to get away with a dry cut diamond blade in a radial arm saw. Maybe just give it time to cool off between cuts. But for the money, how about one of these for $88 from Home Depot. Maybe remove the blade guard, and flip the paver to cut in two passes. I wish they had these 10 years ago. I have a $1000 wet saw setup collecting dust!

Steve

163849_3.jpg

Workforce

THD 550 7 In. Tile Wet Saw

Model THD 550

The Workforce 7 in. Wet Tile Saw is exclusive to The Home Depot. It comes with a 3/4 hp motor with a safety switch which is the most powerful in its class. The cutting table and angle guide are stainless steel. It has the capability it cut any size tile, can also cut 0 - 45 degree miters and It has a one year warranty. Lightweight (28 Lb.) for easy mobility. A great DIY Tile Saw.

Internet/Catalog # 163849

Store SKU# 727245

Price: $88.00/ea

You'd think that if it can cut through tile, it'll cut at least an inch through a concrete paver. I might go this route.

Thanks.......

I put in pavers for a living. Tile saws will not work they lack the power needed to cut pavers. Pavers are made of 9000psi concrete (most driveways are 3000). You need to get a quicky saw with a wet/dry dimond blade so you can cut in place or take them out and cut them. Rent the saw for the month and buy the blade. Blades run about $200. I would also recomend you cut in place. This is better than taking the paves up and cutting them. Just take the snap edge and put it down where you want to cut, take soap stone (in the welding section of HD) and mark the pavers. If it is a straight run snap a chalk line. TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THE CUTS THEY MAKE THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what patern you are doing but make sure you pull string lines every 2'-4' to keep your runs straight. Good luck!!!!

You'd think that if it can cut through tile, it'll cut at least an inch through a concrete paver. I might go this route.

Thanks.......

I put in pavers for a living. Tile saws will not work they lack the power needed to cut pavers. Pavers are made of 9000psi concrete (most driveways are 3000). You need to get a quicky saw with a wet/dry dimond blade so you can cut in place or take them out and cut them. Rent the saw for the month and buy the blade. Blades run about $200. I would also recomend you cut in place. This is better than taking the paves up and cutting them. Just take the snap edge and put it down where you want to cut, take soap stone (in the welding section of HD) and mark the pavers. If it is a straight run snap a chalk line. TAKE YOUR TIME WITH THE CUTS THEY MAKE THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what patern you are doing but make sure you pull string lines every 2'-4' to keep your runs straight. Good luck!!!!

Thanks Mike.....I am doing English Cobblestone pavers so by choice I'm not doing straight runs. I want the random look.

Will the electric chop saws with 14" blades work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FInally finished the job. Bought a Harbor Freight tile saw and base for about $300. Had a little water pump and everything. The diamond-tipped blade was $26. I probably had to make about 500 cuts when all was finished....the blade barely made it through....but the saw worked fine.

I don't recall the name of the pavers but they're from Canadia. Tumbled concrete pavers, 7 pallets of them.

Now I have to figure out how to mortar these to the sides of my concrete steps. Drill in some brick ties?

Now I have to figure out how to mortar these to the sides of my concrete steps. Drill in some brick ties?

That's the easy part.... Just make sure you wet down the concrete befor you apply the mortar. That way the motar has time to grab the concrete and doesn't flash dry in between.

You can also buy some Fortifier to help the mortar stick, it's like liquid glue, that you mix in with the mortar.

Masons do it every day without anchors.

These don't show the patio/pavers, but it shows how much of a bitch it is to pour concrete stairs. Those that know what they're doing with concrete might want to cover your eyes at this point.....

stairs1.jpg

stairs2.jpg

stairs3.jpg

stairs4.jpg

about 3 yards of mud.

The small red tractor was not used in the job. The wooden 4x4's will be encased in painted poplar with banisters and stringers and all of that fancy stuff. Winter project.

The Schnauzer did not assist with the project.

Not bad at all, I've sure seen worse. Go over it with a polishing stone and it'll look great. I laid out approx 128 steps w/ landings for a commercial job on the OU campus (Norman, Oklahoma). No way around it, poured stairs are tricky. First time I saw it done, the forms collapsed = good time had by nobody.

• 2 weeks later...