CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ticking & Rattling Engine Noise

Lynx60

Bought a new 03 XX at end of June 04 and have put 6,500 miles on it. Changed the oil & filter @ 600 miles, 2600 miles, using Honda dino 10-40, and @ 5000 miles using Golden Spectro 20-50 semi-synth. Recently I've noticed a ticking sound (sounds like valves) when the engine is first started & cold. Sound goes away when engine warms up. Today I heard another strange sound from the engine, a rattling-growling sound after I had ridden the bike for about 100 miles & re-started it after letting it cool down for about an hour.

Am I a candidate for pre-mature CCT problems??? At only 6,500 miles?

Did I change to semi-synth too soon?

Normally I would not buy a Honda extended warranty because all my other Hondas were bullet-proof. But I'm thinking that I should get the extended warranty before June of next year when the factory warranty expires ... just in case.

Comments & suggestions appreciated. Thanks guys.

Lynx60

I'll be the first to try and answer this for ya.

I'm sure someone will better explain.

If it's the CCT you will here it around 4000rpm.

Does the rattle at idle go away if you pull in the clutch? It may be the clutch plates you hear. Mine does this but it goes away after the bike is warmed up.

It may make some noise, but like you said "It's a Honda...Bulletproof!"

I hope you mean the scheduled 16K valve adjustment and not a full valve job. :lol:

I don't think anyone has had to actually change the valve adjustment at 16K. You can probably skip it. In fact, there are guys with over 50K on their bikes that have never even checked them. YMMV.