CBR1100XX.org Forum

I don't get race wannabe's

Mikey

So, someone please explain this to me as I'm having a hard time understanding the thought process:

Use race tires on the street. My thought: Race tires are designed for the heat cycles of a race track, takes a while to heat up, extremely sticky, but not made for repeated heat cycles. So why the hell would someone use them on the street where they don't "lap" to heat them up? I know a guy who keeps sliding around on his high grip "race" tires. He doesn't realize they need to warm up.

Use race chains. I looked at the race version of my chain. It was suggested by someone in a shop. It has less strength and wear rating, but is lighter. This great for a race where you use it once or twice then replace and you want HP, not durability. But on the street? Where you deal with mileage?

Use "race" oil as a regular oil. Uhm, same idea as the tires, made for quick runs, not designed for 3000 miles in a engine that might not actually warm up by the time you get to the corner store.

That's just the top. Now, please don't take this wrong, or add any thoughts that weren't stated. I'm not refering to DOT street class race tires. I'm refering to RACE tires, RACE equipment, etc.

Maybe it's just ignorance. Someone may think "Hey, if race bikes use this stuff, and they beat the hell out of their machines, then for my use it should be even better, cause I don't beat mine like a race bike." Ignorance can only be fought with education. Perhaps they just need someone to explain the differences you just explained here. That they MAY be tougher, lighter, better for a race where you will use it and discard when done, but that for day to day use where the miles, hours, etc. pile up, that they are far worse for your bike. When you see ignorance, try to educate. Sometimes it works, and people are receptive to your knowledge, sometimes it doesn't, and people choose to continue to slog around in the sludge of ignorance until something worse (failure of chain, engine seize, violent lowside on slippery race tires) causes them to wake up and see the light. It's the same for everything. Sometimes people learn and try to change, sometimes they'd rather remain ignorant. You can lead a horse to water....

Simply for "bragging rights". You know, the "I gots this race stuff and that race part as well as this race thingy that I don't know what it actually does etc. Pure ignorance, and they wonder why a stock bike will run around them.

I tried one of those "race" chains. Bad idea, it was non- o-ring so you had to lube it every 200 miles and it stretched all the time. I had to adjust it after every pass at the track. It only lasted a month. $90 shot in the ass.

I use to run the DOT 364's on the street and worked great.

I'm not sticking up for the squids or nothing like that.

I said I wasn't talking about DOT street tires that are for the road race course.

Depends what kind of bike it is --many of my friends "burn-off" their trackday tires on the street---a DOT race tire will work fine--and even not at full temp--it delivers better traction than most "road tires".

I am not sure what you mean by "race tires"--on the track tires are either DOT Race or slicks---

BTW I run a 520 DID chain on the 1000RR racebike--it will be curious to see how long it lasts w/almost 160HP