CBR1100XX.org Forum

CARBED XX RUNNING LIKE SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Byrdman

Okay guys, tech question.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride and I have a problem with my 98 XX. I have 18K on it now and had my 16K tune up down about two months ago.

The very first 1/8 of a turn of the throttle, it seems like it's missing. It pulls like a mother fucker when I whack it open. It also seems to idle just fine. It's just during this initial part of the throttle opening?

Also, it doesn't matter what speed I'm going, or what gear I'm in. If I'm cruising down a side street at 35, at just off of idle, it sounds like a fucking v-twin! It make a burp---burp---burp exhaust sound instead of a constant four cylinder rumble? More like a pulsing exhaust sound versus a smooth pulse flow?

Any ideas? It just friggin started also? Last week headed down to the TT races, it was running great.

Options:

---Bas gas: Wouldn't that affect engine running all through the rev range?

---Bad plug: Also would affect running from idle to full rpm? But other cylinders might carry it in the higher rpm ranges?

---Bad ignition: Who the fuck knows?

---Burnt out headlight bulb: Annoying, but not likely?

Any ideas? I know diesel engines but this gasoline shit is foreign to me? I'm planning on running the engine and with my laser thermometer, measuring the temperature of each exhaust pipe. That should tell me something at least?

I need to get this thing running better before NEXXT!

Thanks,

Jeff

Just a guess here....

Sounds like a sticky slide. Once engine vacuum pics up enough for the slide to lift, it's good, but it sounds like it's having trouble just as they would usually start to go up.

I'd suggest running a tank of fuel system cleaner through it before going too crazy and starting to disasssemble things. Once in a while I'll run some Sea Foam through mine, just to keep things clean.

The other thing I'd suggest is that it might be carb sync. If the guy who did your 16,000 mile service didn't tighten things properly, it's possible that one of the screws that is used to adjust the sync on the carbs has moved a bit. If it keeps getting worse, especially after the fuel cleaner, take it back and have the fuckers do it right.

Ok, you might try this. Get a bottle of Castrol "Dragon Power" cleaner and dump some in the gas tank. What a difference it made in my bike. I have a 97 and it runs like new now.

I even put a little in my lawn mower that was running like crap. Running great now.

Ken

So if I understand it, it was fine for a little less then 2K miles after the 16K service and then went bad?

Did you do the work or a shop?

Were new plugs put in?

Possible a vaccuum line came loose.

I also like Hobicus's slide sticking idea.

For Ken, never heard of Dragon power, I'll have to check it out.

Two things to check.

1. Plugged low speed jets. (If it idles OK and only causes problems right off idle, then this is where I would look first)

2. Look for a tear in the diaphram (or an incorrectly seated diaphram)

If they had the valve cover off and it has the old gasket reused it may be leaking oil into one of the spark plug holes and can cause the plug to miss at times this is a possibility cause it would take awhile after the work for the oil to accumulate in there enough to affect it, the previous owner of my bike had it done and they reused the old valve cover gasket, I was checking the work and when I unpluged #3 plug wire oil ran out the front of the engine ( the drains for the plug holes are just under the exhaust pipes ) if the plug wire seals good it won't drain out till you unplug it.

Thanks for the assistance on this one, I appreciate it.

Pete: You are correct. I had the 16K tuneup and now at 18K it's starting this shit. I had Des Plaines Honda do the work. They have done work on my other bikes in the past and they seem to know their shit? New plugs were also put in.

I did put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in the tank last night but no change as of yet?

I will strip the plastic off tonight and will give it a good once over. Maybe it is a vaccum line or a sticky carb slide.

I'm only going to dig so far before I hand it off to the dealer. I need it running better than this for NEXXT!!!!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Two things to check.

1. Plugged low speed jets. (If it idles OK and only causes problems right off idle, then this is where I would look first)

2. Look for a tear in the diaphram (or an incorrectly seated diaphram)

I'd second the diaphram idea. When that thing get screwed up the bike will be starving for fuel.

So I pull the plastic off the XX tonight and I find the entire airbox is loose! The clamps that seal onto the carburetor throats are tight but they're not on the friggin carbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, think that this might be the cause of all my troubles, I re-clamp the airbox down and button it all back together! Not fixed, still running like shit!

I decide to re-tear it apart and pull the carbs out. All four had a slight amount of debris in the bowls but all of the jets looked clean and clear? I pulled the spark plugs and they look good too. The stealer that dicked up the airbox didn't have XX plugs in stock but they should be in later this week.

We'll see! I think I'll check the diaphrams tomorrow and wait for my plugs to come in!

I should have bought a friggin Harley! At least I could get to both plugs easily! Of course I would have to change them every three miles.

Jeff

I'm so sick of stories of shitty dealerships! Honda is the #1 make out there, yet dealerships are staffed by idiots! :evil:

Who knows what else is dicked up on your bike from them!

My bike NEVER sees anyone but me now for this reason.

Check the operation of the choke, check all vac. lines,check fuel flow from the petcock,check all carb diaphrams and while the carbs are out turn all the pilot screws out to 2 1/2 turns.

So what did they hit you for this factory trained service? $350?

My bike did the same thing, turned out to be a sticky needle and seat.The motor was running to rich on number 3 cyl and missing etc till you got about 3000 rpm then it would clear up.

I would say that is your problem.

Peter, I agree that Des Plaines is still a great dealer. They are a world better than a few others in the area! I'm planning on going back to pick up some parts, I'll talk with the service manager then.

Anyhow, I will finish the carb rebuild tomorrow and give her a shot. I checked the needle and seat and they seemed to be really clean just like the rest of the carbs? The diaphrams will get pulled and checked then as well.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Jeff