CBR1100XX.org Forum

reducing water temp.

chunt

I finally got sick of how hot this bike gets and found a way that reduced the water temp. Pior to doing the mod, the bike ran 205-230 degress on the highway. Although it seems all these bikes are running this high, making it common, but not normal. After doing the mod, the bike was running at 180 degrees, on the highway, all day long. My theory was the pipes and catylitic converter were cooking the engine. The bike still starts to heat up when stopped in traffic, but cools down much quicker once you are moving.

The mod: drilling three 3/4 inch holes in the lower front scoop caused an increase airflow over the pipesand converters. I placed these holes vertically right side, infront of the stackup of pipes using a wood drill bit. This also reduced the temp of the side covers and gas tank. Try it.

Makes sense allowing more airflow across the pipes, but I'll be damned if I'm drilling my plastic with a wood bit! :shock:

I've been telling the guys with heat problems for some time that the stock pipes are the major contributor. Even a pair of slip-ons reduce heat drastically.

205-230 on the highway is high. Glad your mod helped, but there may be other issues with your cooling system.

I typically run between 175-185 on the freeway, and I can't remember the last time I saw over the mid-220s, even sitting in stop and go traffic. I'm running WaterWetter, which brought temps down 5-10 degrees across the board for me, but those numbers are fairly typical.

Any chance you have a bit of air in your system? Has it been flushed lately?

I drilled the holes in the plastic right behind the tire, believe it is called the scoop. I do not have a digital camera right now to take pictures, but will when I find a lowner. The holes are located closer to the right side so the air would blow over the converters. Also, I think it siphons some extra air in from the scoop, on the right lower side cowling. Once drilled, you can't see the holes unless your looking for them. The panel cost around $150 to replace, otherwise I would not have tried it. My bike is the 03 model with converters. Prior to 02 I don't think the bikes had converters, so your nuts are probably not roasting like ours. Drill away.