CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake pads

XXTi

In light of my incident a couple of weeks ago, I want to upgrade my brake system performance.

I'm running Galfer Blacks now and have been happy with them, but I wonder if I could have stopped quicker and more controllably if I were running HH pads.

I notice that both Galfer and EBC offer HH pads. I know several of you are running EBC's. Does anyone run Galfers or have any experience with their HH's?

Are you guys running HH's only on the front or are you using them on both ends? Last, but not least, where did you buy and what did you pay?

I'm running the EBC's (HH of course :lol:) on the front only, and the stock rear pads.

I like the extra bite of the front pads, but left the stockers in the rear due to the back end of the bike tending to wander under hard braking as it is. With better pads there, I'm sure the tendency to lock up would be greater.

Until I de-link, this is the setup I'm sticking with.

Thanks Chris. I was asking the front/rear question too. :grin:

I may end up the EBC route too. Where did you get yours? Can you tell if they are wearing the rotors faster than stock pads?

14K thus far on the EBC's, and no noticeable wear on the rotors. The stockers lasted me 12K and were down to steel, so the pads themselves are definitely lasting longer as there is still plenty left (well over half pad remaining).

I got that set from Carlos, but I also purchased another full set last winter (3 packs - 2 for the front, and one for the rear).

If you're stuck, I can sell you a pair or all three, but I'm sure Parts411 or Dennis Kirk have them in stock for around $35/caliper.

Thanks for the info Chris. My stockers were down to the steel too (15K miles) when I put the Galfer Blacks in.

It sounds like the front EBC's are the way to go. I'll look for a set online. Thanks again.

Not sure if your incident happened in the rain or not... but I've read the Galfers aren't so great in the rain, and IMO the EBC's kinda suck when it gets wet too. They still stop the bike, but they take a bit more effort.

Not sure if your incident happened in the rain or not... but I've read the Galfers aren't so great in the rain, and IMO the EBC's kinda suck when it gets wet too. They still stop the bike, but they take a bit more effort.

so what do you like Mykl? I currently have SBS and although they seem better than stock, seems like the XX could stop better...I had hoped to get the ebc but had to settle for galfer HH myself

so what do you like Mykl? I currently have SBS and although they seem better than stock, seems like the XX could stop better...I had hoped to get the ebc but had to settle for galfer HH myself

Well, I wasn't really unhappy with the stock pads. They did the trick just fine, and I never noticed any degredation of performance in wet conditions.

The EBC HH pads performed admirably in dry weather all last week on my tour of the north Georgia, Tennessee, and North Carolina areas. I ran the Cherohala Skyway flat out with everything I could pull out of the XX for all ~50 miles and the brakes didn't complain one bit. Just had to slow it down a lot when the water started falling out of the sky as I didn't have much faith in the EBC's after they got wet.

Since I shouldn't be going all that fast in the rain anyway... I suppose I'll stick with the EBC's.