CBR1100XX.org Forum

PCII, Slip-on, and K & N combinations

blkbrdrydr

In order to save myself all sorts of effort, I thought that I'd check with the list to see if I could get an answer to these questions since I'm certain that collectively, every one of these combinations has been tried already...

What happens to performance AND mileage if I do each of the following:

stock air filter, stock pipes and PCII (stock map)

stock air filter, Micron slip-ons, and PCII (stock map)

stock air filter, Micron slip-ons

K&N, stock pipes

K&N, stock pipes, and PCII (stock map)

K&N, Micron slipons

K&N, Micron slip-ons, and PCII (stock map)

Side note: with PCII I will always get a puff of smoke from the pipes under heavy acceleration. This is true with stock pipes, Micron slip-ons, stock air cleaner, or K&N. Seems that the PCII causes the bike to run a bit rich? The inside of the pipes are fairly sooty. I changed the plugs recently and the old ones looked exactly like they were supposed to look.

Thanks,

Well it is hard to say what the exact impact will be. On my bike ('02, K&N and D&D) it was running very rich in low RPM and less right in the middle and high revs. That was with a zero PCIII map. I had the bike dyno'ed and the mix was tuned in and I gained 7HP and a couple ft/lbs.

I have the dyno maps here:

http://www.overgaardweb.com/Blackbird/dyno...0comparison.jpg

http://www.overgaardweb.com/Blackbird/Lamb...0oil%20temp.jpg

This is the best $130 I have spent on the bike. Before the dyno tune it could be hard to ride at low speeds. As you can see once the bike is tuned in it will most likely run leaner and thus give you better mileage.

Thanks,

I can't answer all your questions but here's my experience for what it's worth. '02 Bird, Two Bro C5 titanium slip ons, K&N, PC 111, dynoed by www.futurecycle.ca I rode my Bird one year stock. It was suggested by "some who know", that I enjoy my ride and don't make any mods immediately. I put on 25,000 kms then installed the slip-ons and the K&N. She ran "bubbly" at 3000rpm and lower. I didn't know what to expect. One month later I had the pc installed and the bike dynoed. I'm not techy enough to provide dyno runs. However, HP='s, 132.4, 132.6; Torque='s, 76.8,78.0 @ 10,800 rpm @ 165 mph in the shop. Cooling fans only no real ram air. The air fuel ration is smooth, it dips at 4800 rpm and is a flat line from 7000 - redline at 13.5, whatever that # represents. I feel I'm running 140 hp on a cool day at close to top end. Most importantly, for me, cause I don't want to get bogged down with numbers, the pc smoothed out the mid range giving lots of throttle snap from 4000 rpm ish to red line. It cost $1000 for the PC 111 and the dyno. No change to ignition, (timing?). If a minus appears on the fuel table does this mean lean? or rich? :?: I don't know cause it's too techinical for me. From 2000 rpm-3000rpm the #'s read, -8, -10, -17, -15, -19,-22, -25, for example.

I'm not sure how black the pipes should or shouldn't be. I just polish the soot away when I'm feeling energetic. Since my mods I've ridden 35,000 kms and I love the sound of the pipes and she still rides great at 60,000kms. I've just returned from a 3000kms road trip with my babe, no problems. My only problem, I've posted threads re it, was the stator which necessitated a new battery and kept me off the bike for two weeks. Next July I'm touring the USA west to east then to Key Largo and cross to California then home. I'll probly keep the Bird for 100000kms then when I retire I'll consider a Yammy fjr 1300. :) For what it's worth, touring on the Bird is great fun for two-up but the seat needs changing, Corbin Gunfighter Lady is a great improvement and full Givi hard bags have my endorsement. Cheers

Come on folks, anybody with PCII maps? I also want to know this info but with PCII as it can adjust timing and fuel.

Thanks to u guys for the PC 3 info, gives us something to look forward to. :cool:

My bike with just slip-ons sounds like it needs a tune up at idle.

-Dave

Ive got a pcII, KnN, and a full yosh RS4 (4-2-1)

Ive used the file for this combo off the PC web site and feel like I lost soem bottom end and gained a big hit in the mid to top range. That's the full yosh system though, I think the PC helps a little and I need a dyno tune to get any big change from it.

Caveat, Everything I write is from my experience. I don't believe the PGM system can compensate for the "air in", "exhaust out" changes that result from the K&N and slip ons or a full system. Others may differ and there are a lot of very knowledgeable "peeps" on this site. The dyno remapped my fuel injection every 500 rpm to red line, in all gears(?). The PC111r is not available for the 02 Bird there for ignition wasn't touched. The person who performed the dyno was trained by power commander in the states. It's interresting to watch and listen to your bike ripping up to the rev limiter. I could sink my finger into the rear tire when done. There seems to be conflicting reports as to the HP of the Bird. I've read 160 ish through the crank and 135 to the rear rubber. A full system probably adds HP, slip ons and KnN probly don't change HP but with the dyno results in a snappy throttle response and mid-range. There's been dozens of threads on this subject on this site and the Brit site. Save your nickles and put your ride on the dyno. I'm not sure just downloading the map using your lap top will be sufficient. Post your thread on the Brit site and see what you draw. Good luck.