CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas Tank Mystery

revlimitbounce

Just bought a used '99 'bird. Me likey.

Went to install a few new bits (air filter) on the 'bird and could not, for the life of me, figure out how to raise the fuel tank. I have the shop manual and it refers to two rubber knobs that must be released, but this bike just ain't got 'em where the illustration shows. Removed rear bolts and lifted rear of the tank, but of course, the front was still secured. Felt around under the tank like a prom date, but nothing.

Anybody?

Bueller?

Thx

If it's like the FI models, just give it a tug backwards after lifting the rear. Little rubber mouted tongue thingy is all that holds the front down on my 2001.

isn't it warchild that has a good tutorial on this at his site?... helped me tremendously!... Easily changed the air filer without removing the tank!

Thanks, I'll give this ass-first-in-the-air method a try!

Just so's you don't think I'm stoopid or nuttin', as a comparison, my Viffer has two plainly visible bolts at the front of the tank and my Duc has but a ski boot buckle preventing total tank venting...

FYI, the little rubber knobs (that look like the throttle stop knob in the Serv. Man.) must be hidden somewhere, no?

Cheerios,

Ah... Talk or raising the tank gives me fond memories of the 1000f...

2 bolts, and it raised just like a hood of a car... Even with its own stand to hold it up..

talk about user friendly...