CBR1100XX.org Forum

k & n air filter

johno235

Hi fellow blackbird owners,

I am a new member to this site and i have recently ( one week) purchased a 1999 Blackbird with 21000 kms on the clock, a set of arrow carbon cans, scott oiler and k & n filter. I only have the owners manual and instructions for getting at the air filter is non existant. I know that there would be a depth of knowledge on this site regarding getting access to the air filter and would appreciate any information as to how i get at air filter. Incidentially my other bike is a 2003 suzuki 1000s. Love the bird, a very fast comfortable sports tourer.

Regards

Johno235

Remove the seat, undo the two bolts holding the back of the tank then lift and tilt it up from the back, wedge it up with a piece of wood or whatever and you have clear access to the airbox right under the tank. If you want even better access pull the tank off its forward lugs, tilt it backwards and up on end and it sits between the frame rails with suitable padding stopping any damage, low fuel level/weight helps . No need to disconnect any fuel lines etc they are long enough to do it, just one electrical connector to disconnect, oh and welcome to the site BTW.

To re-iterate:

1) Wait until you're nearly out of gas.

2) Pull the seat

3) Pull the 2 bolts holding the tank

4) Wiggle the tank loose from it's front mount.

5) Flip the tank up on it's end and set it down on top of/next to the battery. A piece of cardboard to rest it on and protect the paint is a good idea.

6) Opening Airbox is painfully obvious. Pull all the screws (you'll need a philips head)

Don't forget to get gas after you re-assemble. :oops:

Welcome to the site. You should come to NeXXt... Check the group rides section.

I myself prefer to take the tank off. Gives you more room to look around. You could also throw in some new spark plugs while you are there.

No.. NO... disreguard this.... because you have a 99 with fuel injection...

... you don't want or need to take off the fuel lines.

97-98.... can take off the tank... easy.