CBR1100XX.org Forum

Givi Bags and Headshake

jsimanella

I've done a bit of searching, and haven't found much to be conclusive.

My bike gets a bad shake up front when the bags are attached. Even a bit when it's just the rack. (Thanks Peter ;) )

We spent 2 hours last week checking the front end, tire alignment, etc. and finally tried the bags on / bags off. (Note to self - check the stupid sh_t first).

Can go "hands free" with no rack. Almost hands free with the rack. Not a chance in hello with any of the bags on (top or sides).

Anything I can tweak to resolve this issue? I can't even zip up my jacket without losing control - It's that fast.

Thanks Joe.

On long trips, I like to stretch out a bit and this is an issue. I've noticed that it doesn't take much more than a finger to keep it in check, but that's one finger too many.

I'm pretty sure that the problem likes w/ the front tire and that the bags amplify it. The tire only has a 1000 miles on it - It's one of the BTxx tires. I'll post back when I look at it - Either a 10 or 20 (think I may have mixed them on this bike).

What tires do you have?

-John

Here is what I experience. IF the bags are loaded up, I get serious headshake on decelaration and it happens from around 40MPH down....

If the load is lighter, the shake is not that obvious. Try to shift your body weight forward and see if that changes anything ...

Again, to me that happens on decelaration. If I lock the throttle, I can ride with no shakes, bags or not.

As Joe mentionned, the worn out tires have their own imput. But also some thread pattern create the shake more than the other, with the weight distribution change.

When you add the lugage to the bike, you obviously move the weight back. Some tires are more sensitive and some less. The Pilot Road are reacting less to the weight, than the BT010 did.

As I said , my bike has to be loaded up to shake when slowing down, but I usually don't let go the handlebar, so it's not an issue. When on power, I can take the hands off and the bike is like on rails. :cool:

Cheers,

LEVERAGE !.....The top box sits higher and more back. :cool:

What often amazes me are the OVERLOADED cruisers ! Maybe because their front are more extended than the sport and sport-touring bikes, they don't feel the weight shift that much, or the bikes handle so bad everyday, that the overload is not noticable..... :roll:

Cheers,

stiffer springs have helped me a bit. (i'm 205 with 1.05's up front)

and I notice it less on MINE with michelin roads :grin:

I experienced the same thing, running E36's on the side and had quite a bit od shake. Dropped front end about 6mm by loosening triple clamps and letting the fork tubes slide up a little, that helped quite a bit, alot less shake. I think I'm going to try the rear shock wwsher shim next to raise back end, then play with sliding the fork tubes back down. Definately want to maintain ground clearence when riding two up and loaded.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from a 6,000 mile trip [OK, it was really 10,000km] and several times I put on my throttle lock and took my hands off the bars in order to zip up my sleeves or?- and I had no head shake at all. I had Pilot Roads with 5,000 miles, 2 large GIVI bags and a tent and sleeping bag on my Wingrack, and a tank bag. The bike did lean a bit to the right, but I could lean to the left and compensate. I do have Hyperpro fornt springs and rear shock. I like the ability to change damping and preload without lifting the tank and hammering at the stock spring.

TimXX