CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help, Bird DYING at mid/high RPMs...going LOCO!

bignick7777

Hi guys still having probs with my baby (98 carbed with 20k miles on).

Coming out this year I thought I might "spike the sauce" a bit so I went with a dynojet/K&N combo. Once intalled to instructions settings, it idled great, lots of punch on acceleration in first couple of gears so I thought let's go for a supersonic ride... soon as 125mph (about 7k in 6th)came, she just died on me, right there, like I had hit the kill switch! she came down in rpms (even with WOT) and then stared to jerk and cough... went down to 3rd gear, cranked it; she hesitated a little, bang, acceleration that would rip your soulders out of sockets, only to die again in 5th at about 9k. She wouldn't hold a steady 100mph in 6th or any kind of mid/high revs in 3rd or up.

I played around with needle settings, mixture screws for a while, without any results, other than the bike being worse (wrong mixture and stuff). I then proceeded to take out everything and go back to OEM settings (needles, jets, air filter), nothing...still acting in the same way. So I thought, I must have wecked something in the carbs, so I changed the whole carb bank (all OEM). Nothing. I took my baby to the shop, told my guy to do a valve clearance check (which was due) and to install to jet kit (I figured he might be able to get it better than I did). Got MY baby back, still sputtering and jerking at steady high RPMs in last 3 gears, and it wont go anywhere past 130mph.

I am going nuts, I checked my vacuum line to the tank, all sorts of things and now it only seems to be getting worse, I'm pretty sure it's not carb related, it might have to do with fuel delivery, or it might be electrical. Now, I'm down to complet desperation...I even though about (GOD!) trading it in for a busa (I'm sorry baby).

What would be the signs of a REG/RECT that's going, is there any way to test coils, (by the way I've put in new plugs). DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA?

Sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem - not enough fuel to the carbs.

Check your vacuum hose routing, and the fuel filter. One of the guys had a bad petcock last year, causing a restriction.

Leave the carbs alone until you figure out the problem.

Could also be spark related, but I doubt it. Most ignition problems will show up under high load/low rpm conditions, whereas fuel delivery problems will show up under high rpm/high load conditions.

Let us know what you find out, and hope it helped............ :)

Thanks guys,

you make a lot of sense, I think you're sterring me in the right direction. Now, if I have the valve on the "on" position with the bike not running, sould I get a flow of gas or it absolutely needs a vacuum...'cauz I ain't gettin' any, even with the cap opened! where the heck is the filter, within the valve assembly? anybody gotta pic/procedure?

Thanks for the info...very helpful :mrgreen: . EUREKA, I do have a ripped diaphragm, thus, fuel starvation at the tap level. I called the local Honda stealer this morning and this thief is teeling me I can't buy a diaphragm, I have to buy a complete tap assy for 125$ :pissedfingers: . I smell bullsh.. , Please oh please lord tell me he's lying. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the piece alone (even in aftermarket) or I'll have to, once again, bend over and let Mr. H stick it to me one more time :whip: (damn, I almost don't fell it anymore). Let me know.

Thanks

SOB!!!! Same thing happened on my bike!!!! My petcock diaphram was ripped too. I think it was installed partly folded at the factory. Mine was out of warantee by about 6 months, but I bitched long and hard to American Honda and they covered it. Yes it was the entire assembly. :cry:

Check with K@L, they are an aftermarket company that make parts for carbs and petcocks. also check salvage yards. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I am currently having this exact problem with my 97. I rebuilt the carbs and nothing, I took it to one shop that did spacers in between the needles. I got it back and the condition was still there. My bike is currently at the Honda dealership. The guy called me back and said it had nothing ot do with the carbs. It appears to be a recharging issue possibly related to the Stator or something else. I'll find out exactly what it is and tell you. Don't do anymore with your fuel system. We checked vaccuum, put in fuel filters and took out the broken pet cock filter, changed plugs, changed plug wires, none of it worked. It's definitely something electrical