CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heat issues

FDchief

Still getting use to the digital temp gage. I liked the analog when I didn't know how hot things were getting. My question to all is; how hot does your bird run on a 90º day? At highway speeds mine is around 180-195ºF. Below 50 mph can be around 210º. Sitting at stop lights, up to 235º! All seems fine though.

Have done all of the usual, check coolant level, cleaned fins, syn oils. Fan comes on just fine. Bike has 11,500 miles. Also get a blast furnace effect on my legs. Just wanted to see what every one else is seeing on their temp gages.

That's all normal, the Bird runs anywhere from 180-200 while at speeds over 40 and somewhere in the 210-235 range under those speeds. As for teh blast furnace on your legs, go faster and it seems to go away

Steve

I'll be there in a couple weeks for the air races, maybe meet us for a beer on Sept 17th in South shore...

'01 Red bird 13K miles

Hi, FDchief,

Funny you should raise the topic of temperature.

I ran down to Downyville for lunch last weekend and on the way back, going through Sierraville, I noticed the temp readout was at 231. It was hot outside as well. Kind of freaked me out since I didn't recall it running that hot. (I confuse it with my VFR). On faster stretches, the temp dropped to around 200 or maybe less. Go slow, back up to the 220's. When I got home, I was sure there was something wrong. I checked the oil, and the coolant. All seemed fine. Still thought something was amiss.

Went out into Nevada on Sunday and again noticed the same temp ranges. Bike runs great, no issues yet I was left wondering if something was wrong.

From your and other's posts, I'm thinking all is well.

That's right, right?

Bubba, from what I am getting from the group is that all is well. I use to have a Corvette that did the same thing. They say fuel efficiency and reliability is best when running warm then cold.

Of course as others say on this forum; "Big HP makes big heat". I believe that too. Anyway, as long as we all have the same temps, and she still runs like a striped ape, I will ignore my temp gage.