CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drivechain Whine

'98 Bird

The last 2 drivechains I've had on my bike have made a whine sound. Sounding, a little, like a an old siren getting ready to wind up. The first of the 2 chains came off, one time, damaging a bunch of parts that I replaced. I think, this whine sound started after this had happened. Could I have damaged some kind of noise dampening part that I haven't found?

Thanks

I recently replaced my OEM RK chain with an OEM DID and OEM sprockets. I never noticed the RK making any noise, but I do hear the DID whining a bit. I believe it's installed correctly and in alignment.

I adjust mine to have about 30mm (1-1/4") freeplay. I adjust on the center stand. I've checked it on the sidestand and can't tell any difference.

I adjust mine to have about 30mm (1-1/4") freeplay.  I adjust on the center stand.  I've checked it on the sidestand and can't tell any difference.

Did you add a spacer to the rear shock or is it stock height? The spacer mod will change the amount of freeplay. So if you have 1 1/4" freeplay on the centerstand, it will be a lot less when the suspension has the motorcycle and rider weight on it, possibly causing additional driveline noise.

I have an extended shock. Same effect as the 1/4" spacer. I also went back with OEM sprockets.

I had the same setup with the old chain and didn't notice the whine.

• 3 weeks later...

<<You said your chain was changed......was the sprocket in front changed as well? The aftermarket front sprockets have more gear whine to them....>>

Well, I put a aftermarket counter sprocket on it and this made a different noise. Then I put the OEM c.sprocket back on and this particular noise was dampened considerably. I looked at the rear sprocket by spinning the rear wheel with bike on the centerstand and it looks as though the sprocket is bent. I'm going to put new on and see what happens.

Anybody ever have a chain come off and damage the counter sprocket shaft or the bearing to the shaft?

I hope this isn't my case.

Mark

Wow, it's funny. I just put on my new DID ZVM chain last night, OEM front sprocket. Aftermarket rear. And my drive line has a slight "whine" to it now.

Not that it matters, I just thought it was funny that it happened during the course of this thread.

The next thing after the rear sprocket, I was going to put on DID ZVM chain. I bought one and will sell it for $60.00. I paid $125.00 from Chaparral. Maybe, there are others who haven't had a whine using the ZVM chain. Or, have had a whine but weren't bothered by it. Where's the best place to buy an OEM chain?

Thanks,

Mark

Technically, it's not exactly the same as the DID OEM. It's probably a little better.

The OEM DID is a ZVS and the pins are slightly smaller than the ZVM. I'd keep it and use it if I were you.