CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Help with Streetbodies Undertail

Slipperman

Hey all. If anybody out there has the Streetbodies undertail (the one with the built-in led brake and marker lights). I just bought one used (no instructions) and have no idea how to approach the wiring. I don't want to just experiment, because I don't know how sensitive these LEDs are, and don't want to blow them out. I tried to contact the people who distribute this product new, but they haven't been alot of help.

Do you still have the instructions? If not, can you describe the wiring procedure for the brake light? The marker lights seem pretty self-explanatory.

The brake light seems to have a total of 10 wires coming out of it. (Dual LEDs). 5 on each side. 3 black, 1 red, and 1 white. I think 1 black is ground, (attach to frame?) and I imagine red goes to red and white goes to white, but that leaves me with 2 extra black wires per side.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

I got it off of Ebay, but I was already familiar with what I was buying. Here's the company that distributes them:

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/street_bodies.htm

scroll down and you'll see the bird.

I decided to just figure out the installation on my own. Got a lot done last night, and will possibly finish tonight.

Looking good!

I got it off of Ebay, but I was already familiar with what I was buying. Here's the company that distributes them:

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/street_bodies.htm

scroll down and you'll see the bird.

I decided to just figure out the installation on my own. Got a lot done last night, and will possibly finish tonight.

Looking good!

FYI, LED's are pretty bulletproof when there are the correct sixe resistors attached to them.

If you hook it up right, they'll turn on

If you hook it up wrong, they won't turn on, but won't die either.

The only time you get into trouble with LED's is when you don't have a resistor on them, and since they only drop between .6V and 1V, the current goes through the roof (between 12 and 20 amps from a 12V source). This can't happen with what you have though, because they already have the current limiting resistors in the package, before you hook it up.

Mike

After looking at the picture, I have installed this undertail and it was a bitch. The instructions I got were useless. I spent at least 10 - 15 hours installing the undertail. Had to trim the crap out the existing undertray. Having to cut all the tail light and turn signal wires is a real treat. I spent at least another 8 hours total over 3 or 4 different times redoing the electrical, trying different connectors, etc. I did find that my Pyramid rear hugger slammed into the undertail about 8 inches back from the front of the undertail (battery end) so I cut of that portion of the undertail off. I plan to reattach that piece on top of the remaining undertail. The tail section isn't as water proof as the stock system. Found moisture accumulating in the ECM connectors which explained why my bike wouldn't start one day for about 30 minutes. I eventually wiggled the wiring enough and it started. That is when I checked the whole tail section and found the moisture. I wrapped the connectors with newer type electrial tape that waterproofs or seals out moisture much better than the thin electrial tape. Also, the clips they provide to attach the undertail suck! I used some from Lowes that were a little bit bigger than the supplied clips.

The license plate light was also a bitch...Still can't find replacement bulbs for the turn signals. A 194 bulb fits but it doesn't draw the same amout of watts and it burns up...So far, none of the bulbs have burned out but I did want to have a spare just in case.

If you still need some pictures let me know but I will be out of town all next week.

I like the looks of it now but it was a bitch to install! I wouldn't do it again... I would pay someone to do it.

I just installed HID upgrade for what the undertail cost. The HID lights are amazing. I would upgrade to HID before I would install the undertail.

Just my opinion.

Good luck!

Rick Morris

I spent a couple of days installing the undertail on my 97XX. A real pain in the ass!!! It does look good though.

The original lights sucked!!! They just weren't bright enough. I upgraded them through Mototeck. The undertail your looking at looks exactly like the Mototeck. Anyway, now that it is done I really like it. I still need to change the resister to slow down the blinking rate.

You're right. I do have the MotoTek undertail. I didn't realize that because the only site I've ever seen showing this is Streetbodies. I guess they're just distributors. Since I got mine used, their was no box or label.

Yeah, the instructions are useless, but I finished mine today. Probably about 6-8 total hours. I bought some 3/8" strip adhesive foam at Pep Boys and lined the bottom edge of the tailpiece where the undertail makes contact. This made the fit more snug, quiet, and hopefully water resistant. I remembered to read Blackbird service manual to learn about the electrical in the tail section. After soaking that in, I got all the wiring right on the first try! While I was in there, I even hid a couple of blue led lights inside the tailpiece, so that a faint blue light glows out of the grab holes at night. It looks pretty bad ass, especially combined with the yellow led running lights in the tail.

I'm going to try to get some pics soon.