CBR1100XX.org Forum

Polishing.

Red J

I started unbolting some misc parts to clean, little stuff, starting with the swingarm.

Took the rear peg mounts to the polishing wheel, and the one side turned out pretty good, IMO. Tomorrow, I'll do the other, and the main pegs. Deanodize the swingarm, polish that, pull the forks, do the lowers, probably start in on the wheels and front brake carriers...

I'm trying to resist doing the frame...

Anyway, those of you with polished bikes, do you just Nevr-Dull/Flitz/Autosol the parts occasonally, or what? Does that last? I'm mostly worried about the swingarm, since it's big and difficult to get at all the surfaces.

Also, can I polish the fork lowers while they are assembled?

This started out being a motor rebuild, but it's turning into a whole bike project. Stuff just keeps falling off...

J.

Personally, I use Mothers Billett aluminum polish then go back over it with Never Dull. Works pretty well. I have spoken to Obby, who has the most polished bike on the site and he recommends an aircraft polish (Rolite AP 300) then he goes over it with good ole Honda spray polish. I'm going to try this route in the future. All I have polished right now is my wheels and front rotor carriers. I'm going to tackle the fork lowers, swingarm, rear footpeg hangers, and possibly the frame and clutch & stator covers this winter. Draino removes the anodizing pretty good, that's what I used on my rotor carriers. Takes about 15 minutes.

Personally, I use Mothers Billett aluminum polish then go back over it with Never Dull. Works pretty well. I have spoken to Obby, who has the most polished bike on the site and he recommends an aircraft polish (Rolite AP 300) then he goes over it with good ole Honda spray polish. I'm going to try this route in the future. All I have polished right now is my wheels and front rotor carriers. I'm going to tackle the fork lowers, swingarm, rear footpeg hangers, and possibly the frame and clutch & stator covers this winter. Draino removes the anodizing pretty good, that's what I used on my rotor carriers. Takes about 15 minutes.

Yep, found your thread about removing the anodizing, for my swingarm, and am going to do that tomorrow. I reckon I will need a few hours with that mother, for polishing.

I've used the tripoli, and then finished with white rouge with a 6" wheel mounted to the 1/4 hp grinder. Flitzed afterward, by hand. Looks pretty good, a few minor scratches that will probably Flitz out if I work on it some more. Honestly, with all of the pieces I want to do, they'll have to become perfect over time.

I'm going to do most everything but the frame, not sure if I want to take that on. Now is the time, since my engine is out. Tough decision.

J.

Having issues getting the anodizing off of the swingarm. I brushed the Drano on, but the anodizing is not coming off. Will make a bath for it tomorrow.

bling.jpg

bling2.jpg

Got both peg brackets done, except for the triangle portion on the main peg brackets.

Way to go the extra mile and polish the parts that don't even show. Looks good.

Um, uh... I found that out when I got back home and realized that the upper half of the rears don't show. Evidence that I have had my bike torn apart for way too long. :oops:

I didn't polish the inside of the casting. Thought about it, tho. :lol:

J.

Also, can I polish the fork lowers while they are assembled?

Maybe the post is too new, but anyone have an idea on this? If I have to disassemble, that's cool, but I'd rather not. Me wife is starting to ask when I'm going to start putting things back together.

J.

Clear coat will crack and yellow in time when applied over polished surfaces. You'd have to stop short of a full polish to leave the clearcoat something to stick to.

I have heard that powdercoating is an alternative, that does not have that issue.

Is that true?

J.

Powdercoating would stick, but last I checked (it's been a few years) you'll lose that almost chrome look you worked so hard for. The powdercoat isn't clear and/or shiney enough for your work to show through.

Polished metal has to be left bare for that "polished" effect. Had a fair amount of polishing on my last bike, never again for me. Maintaining it sucked, and there's no easy way around it. Does look pretty, though :cool:

I have two clutch covers, and I will likely strip and polish one, and get it clear powdercoated. If that works, I'll do the swingarm the same.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/images/Pol...eelSHClear2.jpg

Not saying that this will work, but I am going to try it on something non critical/duplicate part. We have a powdercoating line at work, and I get things painted for cheap.

I'm committed to doing something with the swingarm (it's partially stripped), even if it's reanodizing. I think I can live with the small parts being strictly polished, but the swingarm is another matter.

Much thanks for the comments. Hopefully I'll find something that I like.

J.

From the place i talked to about the clear powdercoat over top polished aluminum will work, but the powder coat gets into the metal and after a while, it starts turning a light grey and starts taking away from the polish.

Suppossedly House of Color make a clear that won't turn yellow.

Hello Gentlemen,

I couldn’t help but ‘butt in’ to your polishing conversation.

I am presently prepping my bird for a full powdercoating job after a little run in with sand dirt rocks and trees.

Most powdercoating companies have come out with what they call ‘superclear’

That’s a very ‘deep’ clear that looks awesome! I’ve seen parts done and they looked great. You can also get these clears in different ‘tints’ …gold, brass, red, blue for that more custom look.

There is also a powdercoated color called ‘mirror silver’ (Tiger Drylac)

That color is the closest thing to chrome or polish I’ve seen. You add the super clear to that and you get instant chrome (more or less) look!

If you want I will post some pictures for you soon. I’m getting my frame, swing arm wheels and everything I could take apart powdercoated with mirror silver and then a gold superclear.

Results should be interesting to say the least!

Should be done by the end of next week!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having serious reservations about my polishing now. I thought it would be cool at first, and since then, I've had an opportunity to get the parts wet and see how quickly they get spots on them. Fucking immediately.

That will not do.

I also saw a bike the other day with a full polish job. Swingarm, forks, frame... everything that is aluminum. It wasn't as nice as chroming, looked like a few days had passed since it was polished. I just wasn't happy with it. At all. None.

I saw some polished-then-powdercoated stuff, and I wasn't impressed.

To add to this, I'm not the kinda guy who cleans his bike all of the time. I don't know what I was thinking...

I'm already done with the pegs/brackets and such. The swingarm is somewhat stripped down. In short, I'm kinda committed to doing something with this stuff.

I'm considering doing the same anodizing that I did on my pair valve blockoff plates, which is somewhat an Area 51 finish, really dull. But I don't want to spend that much cash on the finish (which should last a long time, even with abrasion) before I see the result. I don't have a quote on that, it may not even be an option for me.

I don't want to chrome. The only other option I've given much thought is the stuff that JohnSHenley talked about.

Shit.

Gloss black powdercoating, to match the bodywork?

Matte black powdercoating, to match the frame?

Chrome-esque powdercoating?

Ultra clear over my polished parts?

Ultra functional and expensive anodizing?

J.

I'm having serious reservations about my polishing now. I thought it would be cool at first, and since then, I've had an opportunity to get the parts wet and see how quickly they get spots on them. Fucking immediately.

That will not do.

I also saw a bike the other day with a full polish job. Swingarm, forks, frame... everything that is aluminum. It wasn't as nice as chroming, looked like a few days had passed since it was polished. I just wasn't happy with it. At all. None.

I saw some polished-then-powdercoated stuff, and I wasn't impressed.

To add to this, I'm not the kinda guy who cleans his bike all of the time. I don't know what I was thinking...

I'm already done with the pegs/brackets and such. The swingarm is somewhat stripped down. In short, I'm kinda committed to doing something with this stuff.

I will trade you my stock pegs/brackets and such for your polished ones :grin: My swingarm is already polished and I want polish all of the other exposed metal with the possible exception of the frame.

I love to clean and polish my XX. I keep it garaged and clean it after every ride and then dust it off before every ride. Guess I am really anal (just ask my fiance... yeah I got engaged last month).

Rich

StPeteXX