CBR1100XX.org Forum

BOS slip-ons are installed

XXBIRD

I've finally got the replacements delivered (not quite right to say it's delivered since I had go and pick 'em up from FedEx facility because the idiot didn't ship it right). This time the pipes were well wrapped with bubble and box was filled with packaging peanuts. Upon inspections, the titanium sleeves appeared in perfect condition but not so the tips of the pipes. Both of them had one wing of the splits where the clamp sits on were bent. I worked them out to straight position so they could slide over the exhaust pipes. I think what happened is when the box tossed around and landed on the end the weight of the slip-ons bent them. This time around, they already installed the gaskets inside so they were not crashed like the last time. I was not going to deal with the all the hassle comes with so I went ahead and installed them.

First thing first, they look awesome and feels so light. I took out the "dB eater" right away to try to see how "annoying" they could be. Allegedly, they shave off about 3dB without effecting the HP. The dB eater is about 4-5 inches long tube positioned at the spout. Instructions tell you "how not to remove" :wink: it since it would be illegal to do so in EU. I've installed the right hand side first and immediately disappointed. There are three points where it is attached from like the original. Gasket, the front footpeg and rear footpeg. Original clamp has a little hook to slide in between the slits on the pipes but since the slit is so narrow, it doesn't fit properly but not a big deal. Rear footpeg attached with a sliding piece of adapter which bolted on the silencer with it's own hardware. The problem is with the front attachment point. It is about half inch to far rotated inwards and maybe 1/4" forward. When I attempted to align it, the whole thing had to slide backward and the silencer rotated in such that it would be right over the swingarm. I can either leave it like the way it is unattached to the front pegs or can get a spacer so when I attach it it won't pull. The right hand side fitted like OJ's glove. With no fiddling or adjusting, they look very symmetric and right in place. The upward angle follows the curve of the tail piece so nicely, it looks like it is made for :wink: .

Then, comes the time to fire it up followed by the "nothin is happenin" sound. It took me a while to figure out I had the kick stand was down. :oops:

It sounds pretty "civil" in my opinion with some presence. No alarms went off in the neighborhood. It does really scream at higher RPMs though. Went for a quick ride on Route 1. It might be my imagination but felt like I was relearning when the clutch engages. For a little while I noticed that the bike seemed more "eager". I'll find out for real when I get the dyno done with the PCIII which I decided to get despite of it's being such a crap snake oil.

I have recorded the sound and took some pics but going to be busier for a while so they will wait.

Cheers,

Ruhi

put some good hard high mileage on it before the dyno and pc3. Note your mileage before and after as well. And make sure you get a print out of both the dyno map AND the pc3 map (table). This way you can do a good comparo before and after :grin:

>It might be my imagination but felt like I was relearning

>when the clutch engages. For a little while I noticed that

>the bike seemed more "eager".

I noticed the same effect when I installed my DynoJet

stage 1 kit. Shifting from first to second the bike feels

like it's being up-throttled, even when it's not.. The

XX engine just produces so much torque that when you

play with the powerband you notice it more.. (my hunch)

:cool: TJ :cool:

It might be my imagination but felt like I was relearning when the clutch engages.

I noticed the same thing when I installed my Yoshimura RS-3 race exhaust system. Does anyone have a sensible explanation for this?

What a difference an aftermarket exhaust system makes!...

Joe