CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N Report-->

Phalanx7.62

Well, I thought I would report some interesting findings. This spring I added Scorpion CF slip ons, and a K&N jet kit. Bike sounded great, and seemed to make a ton more power, esp midrange.

I noticed the tips were getting sooty (rich) so I added a K&N filter. Now it makes more power (seat of the pants) and seem to run cleaner. My mileage has gone from 30 to 40 mpg with jsut the filter install.

My jetting settings were as recommended by Dynojet. 140 mains, needle in 3rd clip pos, but instead of using their suggestion of 2 turns out on air screw, I left it at 2.5 turns as stock.

Should I go leaner on air screw or needles?

This is on a 98, whatever elevation Michigan is.

Thanks

Robb

If you haven't touched the pilot screws they are NOT at 2.5 turns out. Factory settings put them at 1 turn or less.

There's no way to tell you what to set everything to with your particular setup. Even Dynojets advice is a best geuss so you have to play yourself or have it done on a dyno with an exaust gas anylizer.

• 1 month later...

You may also want to look at the "blow by". I initially installed a K&N on my St1100 until the next time I opened the airbox and found very significant dirt inside the aircleaner. I have not heard of ANY neglible HP gain resulting from a K&N but will attest to it adding to a louder intake. All said and done, I gave my K&N away as I would prefer my air cleaner actually clean the air otherwise I wouldn't run anything at all. May run thm, some have turned away but I do know that the stock cleaner does a far better job of cleaning which was my choice.

steve